Slow weight loss?

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all!
I know that everything is subjective, and one shouldn't compare oneself to others' experiences, BUT...
I really feel like I'm not where everyone else seems to be. After surgery, I had such a hard time. The first week, I kept nothing down, and the 2nd week, I barely got one protein drink a day, if I was lucky. I consumed less than 200 calories a day, and I was a mess. Not surprisingly, I had lost 30 lbs in 2.5 weeks. But then the 3 week stall, and I gained some back. Now I'm almost 5 weeks out, and I've only lost 25 lbs.
I really took @Munchkin advice to heart, and have avoided carbs as much as possible. I usually average around 10 carbs a day, give or take. Even then, those are mostly dairy related.
Side note: I do feel like I can eat more than most people at this stage. Like, an half pound of steamed Jumbo shrimp is easy to put down, and since it's so high in protein, I do that often.
Anyways, I know that we all progress differently, but there are women in the cluster of patients I was in that have lost over 50 lbs. I can't help but feel embarrassed. What do y'all think?

Do yourself a favor: only weigh at doc appts

Hide, lock up, or throw the fucking scale out the window. How fast or slow you lose is YOUR journey not anyone else's. Are you a lightweight? If so, go read and reread this thread: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/its-not-pounds-its-percentages.1844/

Measure yourself instead.

You are stressing yourself and stress releases cortisol that can cause weight gain.

Now were you on a preop diet? That will also screw with your time line.

Yes ma'am, @southernlady I was on a preop diet but it wasn't liquid. It was 5 days of 500ish calories.
And TBH, I didn't weigh myself till the 2-3 week appointment. Then I got discouraged because I just didn't feel like I was making any progress. I don't know if Im a lightweight. I'm 5'3, and before surgery, I was 275. Then I got deathly ill 2.5 weeks before surgery, and then I had my preop diet, so I was 265 when I went into surgery.

@Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine my weight loss has slowed this week, but I expected that and it doesn't really bother me because I look at it this way: I have lost 38 lbs from my highest weight and 18 lbs since my pre-op surgery weight. I also gained 11 lbs during surgery, so I am not counting that 11lbs of loss in my calculations. So, when I feel like I am getting a little frustrated that my losing has slowed this week, I just ask myself when the last time was that I lost 18lbs in 17 days? Or, when was the last time I lost 38lbs in 6 weeks?

That puts it back into perspective for me. @southernlady makes a great point that each of our journeys is ours alone and we should be cautious about comparisons. I am weighing every day right now, but only out of curiosity. I'll start doing it just once a week and, eventually, I will probably throw out the scale and weigh only at my doctor appointments. Just be kind to you, no matter where you are in any given day. Just remember, each day brings you closer to your goals than you were the day before.

I posted my first 3 months a few weeks ago, but hope it can help you feel like you're still on track:
2/15 Pre-op 239 (I am 5'4)
3/9 Surgery day: 228.2
4/9 213
5/9 199.9
6/9 188.2
7/4 181.8
At 5 weeks out I was 209.8 Less than 20 lbs below my surgery day weight. And almost 30 lbs total down from pre-op (with a 14 day liquid starvation diet.)

If you are down 25 you are doing great! That's 5 lbs a week. You are not a failure, you're a rockstar!

Kill the scale if you have to. Let your clothing tell you when it becomes too loose wear.

@Mermaid That is so encouraging, thank you! I really had been trying to follow @southernlady advice this whole time, but curiosity got the best of me.
I got the insurance approval 2 days before my surgery, and in all honestly, I expected to be rejected. So, I was in a frenzy trying to get last minute stuff done; and I forgot to measure. I have definitely lost some inches, and I've even been able to pull some old clothes out of retirement.
Thanks!

Breathe a little bit and step away from the scale. Go out for a walk or 2 or 3. Keep on eating your shrimp. Great fried in butter with garlic too, like a scampi!

Thanks for all of the encouragement, ladies! I really have resisted the scale up until now! Don't worry, I'll have my son put it somewhere high up that I can't reach!!

Hi,
Since when is 5 pounds a week not good? The average weightless id 10 pounds a month. Take a deep breath and you do you. I know its hard not to compare but your body is completely different then the "others".
It will be ok.
Whit

Latest posts

Back