Sleep issues

Innervision

I have been waking up between 3-3:30 every night for weeks. I stay awake for 1-2 hrs usually and a few times I didn’t go back to sleep at all. A friend suggested this might be DS related. I’m 3 months post-op. I have been increasingly irritable, I’m assuming due to lack of sleep. I have to get up about 5:30 for work so no chance to sleep in (I’m up on weekends too). What do you think—is this DS related? Ideas?

Are you physically uncomfortable to sleep or do you have acid reflux that makes sleep difficult? Are you waking because you are hungry or thirsty? Depressed? Anxious? Not getting enough sleep can make it more difficult to lose weight. That said - I have major sleep problems too. I really do not believe it it DS related. I get up at 4am even though I do not need to wake up until 5:30 am. Sigh. I run on about 4 hours of sleep per night. I am very productive though. :rolleyes:

Have you tested for sleep apnea?

Some people with sleep apnea find that when the breathing stops, a fight-or-flight response ensues, then they are JOLTED awake and the adrenalin involved with that keeps them awake for a while.

I'm struggling with this as well. My sleep graphs commonly have an hour or two blown right in the middle of the night

I'm pre op, and on CPAP. Unfortunately I've had this experience, usually I wake up sometime between 9-11 AM (normally I go to bed about 6-7 AM and am down till 1-2 PM). I don't have a solution. When I first started having it I would get pretty upset and the time it took to get back to sleep was a lot longer (an hour or two) after a couple weeks I just decided "this is my life now" and got used to it, now I can usually get back to sleep in half an hour or so. For me, chilling out about it lessened the severity.

I'm pre op, and on CPAP. Unfortunately I've had this experience, usually I wake up sometime between 9-11 AM (normally I go to bed about 6-7 AM and am down till 1-2 PM). I don't have a solution. When I first started having it I would get pretty upset and the time it took to get back to sleep was a lot longer (an hour or two) after a couple weeks I just decided "this is my life now" and got used to it, now I can usually get back to sleep in half an hour or so. For me, chilling out about it lessened the severity.

Don't count on "this is my life now" lasting forever. I finally "tested out" of my need for a BiPap. Losing a hundred pounds or so can make a HUGE difference. I vaguely recall one setting was at 18 and the other at (?) 8? So my need pre-DS was pronounced.

Btw, Innervision and Duckman , I was adamant that I did not have sleep apnea and the only reason I had to get up was to pee. Well, that was kind of true. I'm now pretty sure that it was PARTIALLY due to "a bladder thing" I have, but also because that adrenalin rush can cause your bladder to want to empty...to prepare you for battle.

Here's a chart on fight or flight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig...#/media/File:The_Fight_or_Flight_Response.png

Thanks everyone for your responses. I always have ice water with me so I do drink when I wake up. I’ve never been tested for sleep apnea so I can’t say for sure. I may have to talk to my PCP about that one. Age/stress related a possibility, although my sleep has been iratic off and on for years. The FNP at the surgeons office said he hears about sleep problems from a lot of patients and speculated that it might be we have more energy because we weigh less. So, I will give some melatonin a try tonight and see what happens. I think my body is just habituated to waking up at 3 now.

I have had insomnia on and off for decades so I know how much it messes with you - hope
you can get some relief. do you know about "sleep hygiene"? if not, google and do some reading, that stuff matters.

For me, chilling out about it lessened the severity.
yes, the main thing about insomnia is not to lose any sleep over it :ROFLMAO:

While being tested for apnea seems like the logical first step, I'm considering using a sleep ap that measures your sleep cycles using the sensors on your phone. I know a few people that have used them and have good things to say, and rely on them to help wake them more naturally.

I have had insomnia on and off for decades so I know how much it messes with you - hope
you can get some relief. do you know about "sleep hygiene"? if not, google and do some reading, that stuff matters.

yes, the main thing about insomnia is not to lose any sleep over it :ROFLMAO:

Lol

While being tested for apnea seems like the logical first step, I'm considering using a sleep ap that measures your sleep cycles using the sensors on your phone. I know a few people that have used them and have good things to say, and rely on them to help wake them more naturally.
Thanks for the suggestion. Let us know what you think. I may try that as well. I didn’t wake up until 4:30 two nights ago. I felt so good! Then last night awake between 1 and 3. Going to look up sleep apps now....

I went to a sleep guru doctor. I was sent home with something that kept track of my sleep. It was able to rule out apnea, but not diagnose it. It did not rule it out for me, so then I had to have a full sleep study. They are a royal pain, especially the hair goo. And I've never found any of the techs to be particularly empathetic. But I survived the three (I think) (at least three) tests I had.

It is a good idea to rule it out. And obese people have four times the risk of having sleep apnea, which can kill people.

Last edited:
I went to a sleep guru doctor. I was sent home with something that kept track of my sleep. It was able to rule out apnea, but not diagnose it. It did not rule it out for me, so then I had to have a full sleep study. They are a royal pain, especially the hair goo. And I've never found any of the tech to be particularly empathetic. But I survived the three (I think) (at least three) tests I had.

It is a good idea to rule it out. And obese people have four times the risk of having sleep apnea, which can kill people.
Thanks for that. I'm hoping not to be obese for too much longer but...here I am. The thought of goo in my already thinning hair though. :alien:

Latest posts

Back