Seeking a Revision from Lapband to DS - Roadblocks

TakeIII

Good Morning All,

I am new to this board. I have been lurking on the board for several weeks.

I had lapband surgery in 2008. Initially I lost around 80 lbs. I have since gained it all back. My current BMI is 41.2. I have struggled with eating with my band for the past few years. It's very difficult and sometimes impossible for me to eat any type of solid foods. I find myself reverting to "slider foods" in order to get anything down. I eat very few carbs and really don't have a sweet tooth. Even when I am on my best behavior and eating well, I find it impossible to lose more than 15 lbs.

After doing a great deal of research, I believe a revision to the DS is the path I need to take. I feel in order to be successful, I need a restrictive as well mal-absorbtive component. As many others have found, finding a qualified DS surgeon in my area (Denver, CO) is a challenge. I had an appointment with Dr. Long who claims to do the DS, however after a brief conversation with one of his office staff, it quickly became apparent that I would fall victim to the "bait and switch" tactics.

Subsequently, I met with Dr. Metz who is recognized as a qualified DS surgeon on the DSFacts website. Dr. Metz ordered an UGI to determine if there was anything going on with band that would be causing issues. He did not find evidence of a slip or erosion. I was disappointed when I was told that without some type of complication with my band they would not be able to convince insurance to approve a revision. His recommendation was to remove the liquid in my band to allow food to pass. I've already gained every single pound I lost back, I would be terrified to remove the restriction I do have.

Tomorrow I am flying to Utah for a consult with Dr. Simplier. I am hoping he and his staff will be willing to be a more aggressive with the insurance company. I feel like Dr. Metz's office didn't want to be bothered with the inconvenience. I have confirmed that my insurance does not include a clause for a "once in a lifetime" WLS. However, they will likely require some compelling evidence that it is necessary in order to approve. As for co-morbities, I do have sleep apnea and occasionally my blood pressure is high.

Has anyone had this experience in the past? If so, do you have any advice on building a compelling case based on the information I have provided above?

Thank you,

Tina

Hello and welcome to Bariatric Facts! I am not a revision patient so I can't help you there. I am a Dr. Simper patient though. He is an excellent surgeon and experienced with revisions. Good luck to you!

:welcometotheforum: @TakeIII

Glad you finally posted. We have some ex bandsters around here but I can't remember who off the top of my head. From all I have heard, Dr. Simper is excellent.

Good Morning All,

I am new to this board. I have been lurking on the board for several weeks.

I had lapband surgery in 2008. Initially I lost around 80 lbs. I have since gained it all back. My current BMI is 41.2. I have struggled with eating with my band for the past few years. It's very difficult and sometimes impossible for me to eat any type of solid foods. I find myself reverting to "slider foods" in order to get anything down. I eat very few carbs and really don't have a sweet tooth. Even when I am on my best behavior and eating well, I find it impossible to lose more than 15 lbs.

After doing a great deal of research, I believe a revision to the DS is the path I need to take. I feel in order to be successful, I need a restrictive as well mal-absorbtive component. As many others have found, finding a qualified DS surgeon in my area (Denver, CO) is a challenge. I had an appointment with Dr. Long who claims to do the DS, however after a brief conversation with one of his office staff, it quickly became apparent that I would fall victim to the "bait and switch" tactics.

Subsequently, I met with Dr. Metz who is recognized as a qualified DS surgeon on the DSFacts website. Dr. Metz ordered an UGI to determine if there was anything going on with band that would be causing issues. He did not find evidence of a slip or erosion. I was disappointed when I was told that without some type of complication with my band they would not be able to convince insurance to approve a revision. His recommendation was to remove the liquid in my band to allow food to pass. I've already gained every single pound I lost back, I would be terrified to remove the restriction I do have.

Tomorrow I am flying to Utah for a consult with Dr. Simplier. I am hoping he and his staff will be willing to be a more aggressive with the insurance company. I feel like Dr. Metz's office didn't want to be bothered with the inconvenience. I have confirmed that my insurance does not include a clause for a "once in a lifetime" WLS. However, they will likely require some compelling evidence that it is necessary in order to approve. As for co-morbities, I do have sleep apnea and occasionally my blood pressure is high.

Has anyone had this experience in the past? If so, do you have any advice on building a compelling case based on the information I have provided above?

Thank you,

Tina

What compelling case, Tina? They have criteria...do you meet those or is there something you need to fight about?

Surgeons play with knives for a living, not words. They may be good cutters, but lousy debaters.

Metz is wrong. You can't EAT food, just sugar that melts in your mouth. Your BMI says you are MO. You have sleep apnea and need a fix for that. Who cares that you already have a product that has proven itself to not work for the majority of people who have tried it? That, to me, isn't the issue. The issue is, band or not, you need a better surgery. It would REALLY be worth a trip to Keshishian or Rabkin, but give Simper a visit if you already have that planned. I just think the other two are more experienced at revisions and therefore more experienced at getting approvals.

How often do you TRY to eat, only to have it come backup? What happens if you drink water and try to do light exercise? Can you bend over? Have you developed reflux/GERD? Do you sleep sitting up? Had some tooth decay since getting the band?

All these things matter for a plain Take it Out argument, I think. But I don't know that you need all of that. I think you just need the DS...and the band will have to go simply because it's in the way.

Sue

What compelling case, Tina? They have criteria...do you meet those or is there something you need to fight about?

Surgeons play with knives for a living, not words. They may be good cutters, but lousy debaters.

Metz is wrong. You can't EAT food, just sugar that melts in your mouth. Your BMI says you are MO. You have sleep apnea and need a fix for that. Who cares that you already have a product that has proven itself to not work for the majority of people who have tried it? That, to me, isn't the issue. The issue is, band or not, you need a better surgery. It would REALLY be worth a trip to Keshishian or Rabkin, but give Simper a visit if you already have that planned. I just think the other two are more experienced at revisions and therefore more experienced at getting approvals.

How often do you TRY to eat, only to have it come backup? What happens if you drink water and try to do light exercise? Can you bend over? Have you developed reflux/GERD? Do you sleep sitting up? Had some tooth decay since getting the band?

All these things matter for a plain Take it Out argument, I think. But I don't know that you need all of that. I think you just need the DS...and the band will have to go simply because it's in the way.

Sue

Hi Sue, rather than calling it a "compelling case", I probably should have stated a "medical necessity". As noted, I am MO, and have sleep apnea. It seems these are not reason enough.

When trying to eat, it comes back up about 75% of the time, if not more. I drink almost a gallon of water a day (but not while eating because that makes it worse). The weight I did initially lose I believe came primarily from the fact that I was working out 1.5+ hours a day/6 days a week. In my current state, I'm not able to work out that strenuously any longer. I am suffering from constant pain in my knee's, hip, and back. I was riding my bicycle however, that seems to have triggered bursitis in my hip. With the bursites, I actually had a difficult time sitting. I can bend over, but not far enough to put shoes on. UGH!!

I have constant burning sensation in my esophagus, but I have not be diagnosed with reflux/GERd. I sleep with two pillows....ALONE.....because my snoring has become so bad it keeps my husband up all night.

I would be more than willing to see a different surgeon if Simper can not help if there is any hope of getting this approved. I'm just afraid I am just throwing money out the window at this point with all the tests, co-pays, and consults I've had.

Last edited:
Diana and Larra will have more info than I do. But to me, it sounds like you need wls. And, since your insurance doesn't have that lifetime limit of one, the fact that a band is already sitting there isn't the big issue.

IOW...anyone with your BMI and symptoms and NO band would qualify with your insurance, right? Why not you? Seems to me that Metz is hung up on the word revision...as in replacing one band with another or removing a band. But you aren't doing either of those things. You just want the DS, you qualify, and the fact that a POS band is in the way...but can be removed...shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Just as well Metz claims you won't qualify, because he doesn't do the DS, he does a SADI, which you can read about here under "experimental procedures."

he is probably wrong about the insurance, but you are likely to have an uphill battle to get approved.

Latest posts

Back