RNY vs. DS Vitamin schedule

Deborah

Hi everyone!

I am a nearly 15-year vet of DS surgery, and am pretty familiar with our supplement needs. I have a sister, though, who is a RNY vet (I think about 7 years). She has been very compliant with her surgeon's/NUT's post-op recommendations - my concern is that if I had been compliant with my NUT's recommendations I would have been tanking at about the 7 year point - probably before. I realize that the malabsorption component for RNY is much more limited (assuming it isn't distal) so the supplementation is likely less extensive, but I have no idea what it should realistically look like. Obviously, you need to follow the labs, but her doctor seems to feel that a CBC and Metabolic panel is pretty much all she needs. She has advocated enough with her doctor to get her D, PTH and Calcium levels checked and (big surprise) there is a problem - though it isn't super serious. She responds to much lower doses of D3 than I do (10,000 IU daily will raise her levels significantly) but she also lives in FL, so I'm not sure if there isn't a seasonal bias thrown in there too. Since they found a problem, her doctor is willing to continue following those labs, so we're okay on that point. What else is likely to be a problem, though? She has asked me for advice and I'm not completely sure what to tell her. Is there a basic lab list/supplement starting list for RNYers like there is for us (GOD BLESS VITALADY!) from someone who knows what they are talking about? If anyone has input, I'd love to hear it!

Whoa! Yuck! Thanks for posting that - I haven't really looked much at the B Vitamins because I never have had any issues with them myself, so I had no idea!

Latest posts

Back