RNY Revision to DS

Barbara

Is anyone in this group an R N Y to D S who did not have serious complications? I recognize this is serious and complicated surgery and I'd like to hear from someone for whom it went less "badly". Thanks! I admit I'm scared.

I was not a revision, so can't comment on that, but let me suggest this: Try asking more specific questions. What are you afraid of in particular? That might help you get more responses. So, too, might tagging people (@ plus their username) who have posted about problems, or about anything for that matter, that caught your attention and you'd like to know more.

I'm going to be and RNY to DS revision. However my DR would only do it in 2 stages to prevent having serious complications. I currently have had my RNY stomach reversed to a sleeve and in a couple of months I will have my RNY intestines rerouted to DS.

I am most concerned about complications. I will likely be self- pay and am concerned about complications causing me to be in the hospital for longer than expected. Would I be responsible for all hospital and doctor costs after the surgery or will the insurance company (Keystone Health Plan East) be accessed to pay those costs? Has anyone had a revision RNY to DS and not had complications requiring them to remain in the hospital for longer time? Also, I have had 2 minor strokes. Will I clear for anesthesia? I know no one is able to give medical advice;this is just one of the things I worry about. I also know that Dr. Greenbaum can/will answer these questions when I see him. I need to be patient. I am most concerned about the costs I would be responsible for after surgery. I need to do this, can't have a third stroke which could be a doozy, and need to establish a healthier me. I do noit want toi get my hopes up and not be able to see this through.
Thanks to everyone here. You are so informative and patient. I really appreciate you all.

Last month I was self-pay at Mexicali Bariatric Center and had a great experience. I was a virgin DS, but I met two people that were revisions and neither of them had any complications that they told me about. Before MBC would schedule my surgery, they went through my records with a fine tooth comb and came back to me with lots of questions, especially about a kidney surgery I had had. I believe that is pretty standard practice for all the MX surgeons, so you might contact a few and see what they have to say towards your concerns. If I were you, I would get the surgery report for your RNY and include that with the rest of your data.

Good luck!

@Brandy thanks for the information. Glad to hear good outcomes are out there. I've ordered my operative report and am waiting g to receive it.

I am most concerned about complications. I will likely be self- pay and am concerned about complications causing me to be in the hospital for longer than expected. Would I be responsible for all hospital and doctor costs after the surgery or will the insurance company (Keystone Health Plan East) be accessed to pay those costs? Has anyone had a revision RNY to DS and not had complications requiring them to remain in the hospital for longer time? Also, I have had 2 minor strokes. Will I clear for anesthesia? I know no one is able to give medical advice;this is just one of the things I worry about. I also know that Dr. Greenbaum can/will answer these questions when I see him. I need to be patient. I am most concerned about the costs I would be responsible for after surgery. I need to do this, can't have a third stroke which could be a doozy, and need to establish a healthier me. I do noit want toi get my hopes up and not be able to see this through.
Thanks to everyone here. You are so informative and patient. I really appreciate you all.
The insurance questions can be answered by Dr. G.'s office, I suspect. They deal with a lot of people in your situation.

The issues regarding your anesthesia clearance and the strokes are significant. I would imagine you'd need to be cleared by cardiology and pulmonology, if he follows what I know of as his usual policies for that kind of thing.

I have already set up appointments with both the cardiologist and the pulmonologist. Hoping to have most of what he needs when I go in to see him on 12/12/14.

RNY to DSer here. Only complication I had was a stubborn stricture. But I got one with my RNY too, so I wasn't surprised. Some have sailed through their revisions, some (like me) had a minor hiccup, and some had serious complications. Unfortunately there is no way to say with certainty that you won't have complications. But there isn't anything that says you will have any either.

@Paula I know I know. I need to put my fears aside until I meet with Dr. Greenbaum. For all I know he may tell me it can't be done. Then I will have a real problem---where to travel and to whom?! My general fears just need more information. I plan to keep researching and reading.

Latest posts

Back