Revision with Dr. K possibly

OrganicLife

Spoke with Dr. K's office today. Received some info on what to expect, costs, what tests are needed, how many days i will be in the hospital, and about how long I will be in CA for this. I will have to have a video conference with Dr. K soon for a one on one.

I do have a small hurdle now. I will be traveling alone from NJ to CA., and then from CA to NJ after my surgery. They will not release me from the hospital alone. :( I have to have someone with me to be released from the hospital. No one from my family or friends can travel out there for a week or two. They don't have the personal days or vaca days that they can take off from work, and then there is the plane tickets etc...

Anyone have any suggestions?

You should be able to hire a nurse's aide (called different things in different states -- could be CNA, STNA). This person could pick you up at hospital and care for you in the hotel room. You will probably need a different one for each 12 hr shift. There are also recovery facilities for people who have plastic surgery so I assume they can be found for other surgeries as well. (I'm not talking about rehab facilities.) Dr. Ks office and/or the hospital should have sources to recommend for both nurses aides and recovery facilities.

Fly home first class. And have a cart or wheelchair arranged to take you to/from the gate. Your sore tummy will thank you.

You should be able to hire a nurse's aide (called different things in different states -- could be CNA, STNA). This person could pick you up at hospital and care for you in the hotel room. You will probably need a different one for each 12 hr shift. There are also recovery facilities for people who have plastic surgery so I assume they can be found for other surgeries as well. (I'm not talking about rehab facilities.) Dr. Ks office and/or the hospital should have sources to recommend for both nurses aides and recovery facilities.

Fly home first class. And have a cart or wheelchair arranged to take you to/from the gate. Your sore tummy will thank you.

That is a great idea. I will have to ask Dr. K's office if they can recommend someone or perhaps an agency that have nurse's aides. Thanks.

CNA is great idea and absolutely on cart to plane and first class on way home. That is exactly what we do. Even on my surgery for hernia repair with Dr K in May and last year for revision when my skinny ass was 175 ...I am 6'2 and at my current weight I have absolutely no meat on my ass and 15 minutes in a coach seat has me squirming. After getting your guts sliced the padded seat and room makes it so much easier.

I will likely be heading for my colectomy in the next three weeks. Are you doing Huntington or Verdugo Hills? I did VHH for my other two because it is small and easy to get in and out of for my wife and Dr K's office is there, but I think I am going to do Huntington this time. It has been described like a luxury spa type hospital. VHH doesn't have a shower in room and the shower room sucks is my biggest reason and the cafeteria hours aren't great for my wife.

BTW you are going to absolutely love Dr K. I talk to him alll the time probably having traded 500 emails the last 12 months. His aftercare and concern for patients is just something that will blow you away. He is also the most ego-less Dr I have ever been around when he has every reason to be arrogant since he is the best in the world.

Best wishes to you and hope you get in quickly. I am trying to remember. Are you phase two with sleeve already and just getting switch or are you RnY GBP to DS?

CNA is great idea and absolutely on cart to plane and first class on way home. That is exactly what we do. Even on my surgery for hernia repair with Dr K in May and last year for revision when my skinny ass was 175 ...I am 6'2 and at my current weight I have absolutely no meat on my ass and 15 minutes in a coach seat has me squirming. After getting your guts sliced the padded seat and room makes it so much easier.

I will likely be heading for my colectomy in the next three weeks. Are you doing Huntington or Verdugo Hills? I did VHH for my other two because it is small and easy to get in and out of for my wife and Dr K's office is there, but I think I am going to do Huntington this time. It has been described like a luxury spa type hospital. VHH doesn't have a shower in room and the shower room sucks is my biggest reason and the cafeteria hours aren't great for my wife.

BTW you are going to absolutely love Dr K. I talk to him alll the time probably having traded 500 emails the last 12 months. His aftercare and concern for patients is just something that will blow you away. He is also the most ego-less Dr I have ever been around when he has every reason to be arrogant since he is the best in the world.

Best wishes to you and hope you get in quickly. I am trying to remember. Are you phase two with sleeve already and just getting switch or are you RnY GBP to DS?
What Hospital are you going to? I'm not familiar with Huntington.

Huntington probably. It is in Pasadena and about 6 miles from Verdugo Hills where I had my two other surgeries. VHH was fine but has really small rooms and Hu ting ton is supposed to be really nice, but both give goid care.

Thanks for telling me that there are 2 different hospitals. I will be sure to ask for Huntington.

I already have a VSG. However, I can sit and eat a meal now, without feeling full after a few bites. I am asking to be resleeved because of not feeling full after a couple of bites. Stomach has stretched. My surgery will have to be done open due to the fact that my body produces rock hard adhesions, and LOTS of them.

Yoi are welcome.

I have to adk, why would you want to feel full after a few bites? I am thinking that you aren't fully aware of how the DS works. What makes the DS successful and the VSG not typically successful, is the malabsorption. This means you can eat and frankly you will need to eat a lot. The DS requires,eating 100-150 grams or more of protein daily to meet your nutritional needs. I can easily eat a 12 oz steak, baked potato with lits of butter and sour cream and some veggies in one setting. I eat close to 4,000 calories a day and 200 plus grams of protei. At 6'2, this morning I weighed 173 lbs. I am 3 years pot DS and my volume that I can eat is abnormal but you do need to be able to eat.. It isn't restriction that is the cause for the long term success of the DS maintaining weight loss, it is the reduced absorption. The restriction helps with initial weight loss for a DS but it is the reduced absorption that takes over and keeps the weight off. Eating is a good thing with the ds and if you do get it you will have to wrap your head around the fact that you can't diet anymore and that you MUST eat that amount of protein daily to meet nutritional needs.

Dr K will likely not resleeve you unless he gets in and sees that your stomach is huge, because resleeving can cause issues like stricture and severe GERD. I am not saying that he won't resleeve if he deems necessary I just know that he only does so if he deems it necessary because of the risk and the fact that studies have shown smaller sleeves does equate to greater weight loss than a larger sleeve.

Best wishes and rest assured, the revision will work for you if he resleeves or doesn't resleeve.

Yoi are welcome.

I have to adk, why would you want to feel full after a few bites? I am thinking that you aren't fully aware of how the DS works. What makes the DS successful and the VSG not typically successful, is the malabsorption. This means you can eat and frankly you will need to eat a lot. The DS requires,eating 100-150 grams or more of protein daily to meet your nutritional needs. I can easily eat a 12 oz steak, baked potato with lits of butter and sour cream and some veggies in one setting. I eat close to 4,000 calories a day and 200 plus grams of protei. At 6'2, this morning I weighed 173 lbs. I am 3 years pot DS and my volume that I can eat is abnormal but you do need to be able to eat.. It isn't restriction that is the cause for the long term success of the DS maintaining weight loss, it is the reduced absorption. The restriction helps with initial weight loss for a DS but it is the reduced absorption that takes over and keeps the weight off. Eating is a good thing with the ds and if you do get it you will have to wrap your head around the fact that you can't diet anymore and that you MUST eat that amount of protein daily to meet nutritional needs.

Dr K will likely not resleeve you unless he gets in and sees that your stomach is huge, because resleeving can cause issues like stricture and severe GERD. I am not saying that he won't resleeve if he deems necessary I just know that he only does so if he deems it necessary because of the risk and the fact that studies have shown smaller sleeves does equate to greater weight loss than a larger sleeve.

Best wishes and rest assured, the revision will work for you if he resleeves or doesn't resleeve.

Thanks. I do understand the malabsorption part. That is why I wanted it to begin with almost 6 years ago (very long story). I'm only stating that at this point, my stomach is probably back to almost normal size, because I am able to eat a normal plate of food. That is the problem. The restriction was good I'd say for about the first 6 months and then it became a struggle just to maintain the weight loss. I know it will have to be resleeved. VSG doesn't last long as far as restriction goes. It's not the end all of surgeries. The weight (for a lot of people) does come back. DS is what keeps the weight off, with the best odds of keeping the weight off and maintaining weight loss. In the beginning after the DS is when the magic happens, and the maintaining of the weight loss is great, as long as the carbs and sugar are limited, which I don't have a problem with that. Although I do enjoy a bit of raw honey in my ginger tea everyday.

I live in the LA area. I'm not sure exactly what your needs are, but if you just need an adult to meet you at the hospital so they can legally release you, I'd be glad to do that. If you need aftercare, then there are agencies which can send someone qualified to stay with you at the hotel, I'm sure.

Feel free to PM me, if you need a pick up.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks. I do understand the malabsorption part. That is why I wanted it to begin with almost 6 years ago (very long story). I'm only stating that at this point, my stomach is probably back to almost normal size, because I am able to eat a normal plate of food. That is the problem. The restriction was good I'd say for about the first 6 months and then it became a struggle just to maintain the weight loss. I know it will have to be resleeved. VSG doesn't last long as far as restriction goes. It's not the end all of surgeries. The weight (for a lot of people) does come back. DS is what keeps the weight off, with the best odds of keeping the weight off and maintaining weight loss. In the beginning after the DS is when the magic happens, and the maintaining of the weight loss is great, as long as the carbs and sugar are limited, which I don't have a problem with that. Although I do enjoy a bit of raw honey in my ginger tea everyday.
I hear you. Just saying don't be surprised if your stomach has stretched a bit to maybe 8 oz but not much more. The sleeve isn't that pliable to stretch back to 30 oz type volume. I can eat a tin and imaging has shown that my sleeve is still normal sleeve size. In any case best wishes, I know Dr K will hook you up so you lose and keep the weight off.

I'm only stating that at this point, my stomach is probably back to almost normal size, because I am able to eat a normal plate of food. That is the problem.
Normal plate by serving size or "normal" by eyeball and the ungodly size portions that we tend to eat pre-op (esp Americans)? Also is that dense protein or fluids/very soft foods?

Most of us in maint can eat a fair amount of soft foods and esp fluids (like soup, etc) but dense protein, not so much.

Honestly unless there is something wrong with your sleeve (other than your feeling it's too big), don't get a resleeve.

I live in the LA area. I'm not sure exactly what your needs are, but if you just need an adult to meet you at the hospital so they can legally release you, I'd be glad to do that. If you need aftercare, then there are agencies which can send someone qualified to stay with you at the hotel, I'm sure.

Feel free to PM me, if you need a pick up.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark! I just might take you up of that

Normal plate by serving size or "normal" by eyeball and the ungodly size portions that we tend to eat pre-op (esp Americans)? Also is that dense protein or fluids/very soft foods?

Most of us in maint can eat a fair amount of soft foods and esp fluids (like soup, etc) but dense protein, not so much.

Honestly unless there is something wrong with your sleeve (other than your feeling it's too big), don't get a resleeve.

I feel the hunger. Where as in the beginning, there was no such thing. The rumbling is back. Protein. I can eat a whole chicken breast and veggies in a sitting. In the beginning, I might have been able to get maybe 2 bites of the chicken breast, if that. I know it changes over time and the quantity of food increases some. I just don't feel any restriction. Liquids....well, I can down a bottle of water no problem. Since the vsg in 2010, I don't drink any beverage with bubbles, so soda is never in my shopping cart.

I will leave it up to Dr. K to see what happens with the sleeve.

Latest posts

Back