Revised DS

Pamela

Has anyone ever had to have a DS revised due to complications and/or not loosing weight??

I revised from RNY. I had complications from that surgery (years later), marginal ulcers and a bunch of "other" stuff. I also had complications during the revision. Do you have questions?
Whit

I want to make sure I am reading your post correctly. You had a DS and are not losing the weight and are having complications? Please elaborate so we can understand your situation and suggest a course of action/options for you.

I had a DS in 2013 and because my alimentary limb was too short I was severely malnourished even though I was eating a minimum of 250 grams of protein daily. My surgeon performed what we call the cookie cutter DS in me in that he gave me his standards CC and AL length, 100 cm and 150 cm respectively and without regard to my total small bowel length. In theory the ratio of Al + CC length should = half if SB length. Mine was actually only 34% so I lost too much weight and had too much malabsorption. I ended up in the ER and then hospital as I was getting extremely light headed and fatigued. It took them most ofca week to rule out heart issues and figure out it was malnutrition becsuse my bp was just 70/40 and resting heart rate was around 35-38 bpm.

If you were given a cookie cutter DS and your CC and or Al are too long relative to your SBL then you will not lose the desired weight.

This is why you will hear me preaching about the Hess method as what I believe should be the only standard if care for performing a DS. The Hess method measures the SBL and then makes the CC approximately 10% of the SBL and the Al approximately 40%.

In August of 15 Dr Ara Keshishian performed such a revision on me. After surgery I immediately went off the massive amounts of pancreatic enzyme that I was taking which allowing me enough absorption to thrive.

So yes a revision can be done if you are eating and supplementing vitamins and minerals properly and are still signicantly obese. That being said, if that is the case you may have to self pay as insurance might not cover the procedure.

Latest posts

Back