Received insurance approval! Need advice.

Roudoudou

Happy New Year! I just received the good news that insurance has approved my surgery. I am surprised, as I really thought they would have made me jump through more hoops, but looks like what was submitted was sufficient.

I can have the surgery as early as January 31. Here's my dilemma: I have not had much time to lose weight in preparation for surgery (my surgeon, Dr. Srikanth, had recommended I lose 10% of my weight (27 pounds at 270) prior to surgery, but this was assuming I'd have the six-month supervised diet requirement to meet). I want to be emotionally prepared for the surgery: working on that! But is there any merit to waiting a few months to lose more weight PRIOR to surgery so that I'll be able to take off a larger number in the long run? Say I lose 90% of my excess weight: having less to lose at the start would theoretically get me to a lower end weight.

This is all a bit of a shock and while if you'd asked me a month ago I would have said, "I want the surgery ASAP!" I am really trying to think carefully about this and not rush into anything, if there is a benefit to waiting at all. Would love some feedback.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that most of the numbers you are looking at are averages. Never having lost 90% of my excess weight, I may not be a great example, but I would not wait.

Sue

Congratulations!
There is absolutely no benefit to you in delaying your surgery to lose weight pre-op. There has never been a study that showed that people who did this did better post-op, lost more post-op, were more likely to get to a normal weight, etc. In fact, there is a big thread going right now with the ASMBS statement about how insurers that require this have no evidence based reason for doing so, and that all this accomplishes is to prevent people from having much needed medical care and let their health get worse during the delay.
of course you will want to start exercising now and doing deep breathing exercises, eat healthy to get yourself ready, but that's it.

You might talk to @trace, she just had her surgery with Dr Srikanth a few months ago with IIRC nothing more than a couple weeks see-through diet

I'm jealous you two got through so quickly!

There's not a lot of consistency across surgeons, to be honest. My pre-surgery diet started 24 hours before surgery as liquids only and then (as it would for any surgery with general anaesthesia) nil by mouth from late the night before. I wasn't required to do liquids or anything for weeks before. This was also the same when I had my lap band back in 2011.

I agree..no reason to wait. Get it done and get on with life.

I only had a 2 day fasting period before my surgery. Nothing else.

And in the 3 month run up to my DS, I actually put on weight. So I agree. I'd get the surgery when it was offered.

Congratulations! And I agree with the above consensus opinion that sooner is better than later!!! Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back