Reactive Hypoglycemia

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
Welp, I had a few bites of mashed potatoes and 15 mins later, I started getting weak, shaky, very, very sleepy and a bit confused. It progressed from weakness to confusion in a span of about 30 mins. Had a few oz of sugary koolaid and it got better, though I still feel a little weak. I think I have reactive hypoglycemia. I was pre-diabetic before surgery.... I knew this was a possibility, but I am still surprised.
I have a glucose meter but can't for the life of me find it.

What can I do? Just really cut out any carb-dense foods and carry glucose tablets with me? It was the confusion that scared me most. I was looking for a glass to mix koolaid in and I couldn't remember where my glasses were. I kept opening cabinets and they were the wrong ones. I've never done that before.

Unless you're a doctor, please don't diagnosis yourself. If you think it's an emergency, call 911. Otherwise call your doctor tomorrow.

I was going to my doctor tomorrow. But, generally, low blood sugar symptoms after consuming carbs and it being resolved by consuming sugar....I don't think I'm taking a big guess here.

I experience reactive hypoglycemia and I would never treat it by throwing more sugar at it. That would set me up for a never-ending cycle of blood sugar spike/crash/spike/crash..... My personal preference is to avoid it to begin with. Mashed potatoes would not be a trigger for me but if it is for you then you may want to reconsider eating them.

I experience reactive hypoglycemia and I would never treat it by throwing more sugar at it. That would set me up for a never-ending cycle of blood sugar spike/crash/spike/crash..... My personal preference is to avoid it to begin with. Mashed potatoes would not be a trigger for me but if it is for you then you may want to reconsider eating them.
It was what I was advised to do by someone who has RH...It was just a small amount. I had maybe 3 ounces of koolaid. It seems to have done the trick, if this is what I have. This has happened 2 other times. I don't remember what I ate...but I'm sure it involved carbs.... The first time, I didn't connect the two. The second time, I thought...huh, maybe it was cause of what I ate. Third time, it was obvious. The other two times, I went to sleep instead...woke up feeling hungover and crappy a few hours later.
But yeah, no more mashed potatoes for me. My love affair with carbs is over if this is going to be the result.

Most diabetics use glucose tablets (sugar) to bring up low blood sugar.

The ideal way is to know how low you are and add JUST enough glucose to get you to right at 65-70, and eat protein/fat right behind it to stabilize.

If someone does not have glucose tablets, about one oz of sugary water or OJ is used followed by the protein/fat.

I've been reactive hypoglycemic over 25 years...add that to diabetic since 1997, and it was a wicked mix. That's how my endo taught me to handle it.

I also prefer to avoid it but it does happen. Mine is totally weird in that an all protein/fat meal will set me off. It's why I have to have some (less than 10) carbs with a meal or snack or I crash and burn!

I know YMMV but as a general recollection many Dx with RH experience the symptoms 2-3 hours later.

You don't want to drink or eat something that is a sugar or simple carb to bring it up. You want a protein with fat and complex carb. It'll bring it up and keep it stable. Throwing sweets at it puts you in a vicious cycle to eat again when it drops and again.

RH is manageable for most with a proper diet. I think it best to talk to your doctor and log your intake so when this happens you can identify why.

Well, I think what you should take away from this experience is that mashed potatoes and kool aid are both bad for you now. Don't you think cottage cheese, greek yogurt, kefir, or some other protein would have been preferable to the mashed potatoes?

IDK why DSers early out even eat mashed potatoes. I still don't eat them. What I do eat now, at over 4 years out, is a very well scooped out potato skin, loaded with butter, then shredded cheese, snipped bacon and baked. Then I slather them with sour cream (full fat) and eat those buggers. Very little potato left in the skin, if any. Just vehicles for protein, which is what we all need now anyway.

I'd stay away from labeling yourself this early out. RH is one of those things people throw around like acid reflux at yuppy gatherings. It's over used and probably not even what you've got going on.

I'd stay away from labeling yourself this early out. RH is one of those things people throw around like acid reflux at yuppy gatherings. It's over used and probably not even what you've got going on.

And gluten intolerant. Although I'm a DSer and I get to say it anyway. :)

I am Gluten intolerant...truly. If I eat gluten within 1 hr my gut is hard, distended and LOUD...followed by crippling cramps and then a shit spree of epic proportions (though ususally about 3-4hrs post). I also ate mashed poato within the second month to stop my keytosis so I could actually eat. Before having a couple of spoonfulls of mashed potato I just couldn't put anything in my mouth. I literally had such a lack of interest that eatng some tatties allowed me an hour or two of recovery time to then eat fat, protein and fluids...before that I couldn't face even chewing without wanting to spit. I'm talkin about a desset spoon full if I was lucky. Now this stopped after the second month becase I got over the keytosis to a point where I could eat to routine. I didn't carry this into my long term weight loss...it was merely a band aid. I also had terrible GERD thatwas not responding that well to my PPI's so the bland starchy consitency helped with that a bit too.

I would think an omlette with shredded meat, some whey isolate protein in lacto free milk would also provide sufficent reprieve from reactive hypoglycaemia. Nibblingon cashew nuts as well would hlep. I can't remember what stage you are on so if yu're not yet progressing onto solidsthan my apologies. Make yorself a eggnog smoothie with some protein powder chucked in.

What Kirmy just said. I have taken to calling my stomach a Pirate Stomach, because it says "ARRRRRGGGG" when I eat something I know I'm not supposed to. It says other things also, but occasionally it will sound exactly like a question: Like "why did you eat that?"

The last time I ate cream of tomato soup I swore I was gonna die. I dug the can out of the trash to read the label. FLOUR. In Tomato soup. For chrissake, who would have thunk it? I was in agony for over 2 hours, and I still might write the soup company.

What Kirmy just said. I have taken to calling my stomach a Pirate Stomach, because it says "ARRRRRGGGG" when I eat something I know I'm not supposed to. It says other things also, but occasionally it will sound exactly like a question: Like "why did you eat that?"

The last time I ate cream of tomato soup I swore I was gonna die. I dug the can out of the trash to read the label. FLOUR. In Tomato soup. For chrissake, who would have thunk it? I was in agony for over 2 hours, and I still might write the soup company.

Most premade/prepackaged/processed foods have gluten...including soups. Check out celiac websites, they usually have a compiled list of products sure to be GF :)

Yeah, I know. I was stupid. Normally, I read labels carefully. I was just craving some tomato soup to melt my Colby cheese in. You'd think at 4 years I'd have this down. Sometimes I really piss myself off.

Latest posts

Back