Raw Milk

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
As a result of the DS, I became severely lactose intolerant. WITH lactaid and time, I can manage most milk based products but drinking milk and ice cream were still off the table.

I MISS being able to drink milk.

This weekend, we decided to see if we could find some better sources (grass fed options) for meat, butter, etc. I found a farm store that is not far from us in SC. It's 30 mins...and since Costco is 25 mins...not really that different.

I looked at the web site, discovered they also sold raw milk. Now I had never had raw milk but dh had. HIS memory of it was from his childhood when visiting his grandparents and the milk was typically just kept on the counter. He said it was a very strong taste.

Anyway, yesterday we were down at the surgeon's office and I mentioned to dh that we were not that far from the farm store...so we went by there. Found grass fed butter. As we were looking, one of the ladies asked if she could help us. I mentioned that I wish I knew what raw milk tasted like...she found some that was open and got me a small cup. IT IS GOOD! Handed it to dh to try and no, it is NOT what he remembered.

Anyway, I've had about 8 oz today and NO side effects...no gas, no bloat. MILK IS BACK in my life!!!

that's interesting and exciting! now, what about ice cream?
Since I can take or leave ice cream, that wasn't an issue. I can eat frozen yogurt but got tired of that.

I just can NOT believe I can drink milk. That was something that I really missed post-op.

I also noticed that the grass fed butter I found at the farm store has a different taste from the Kerry gold I had recently started using in my coffee. MUCH sweeter.

Oh Liz I am so happy for you! I hope I never get Lactose intolerant! I can't live without ice cream. You might as well shoot me my life would be over! I don't eat a lot but it is my bedtime snack every night even if it just a bar of some type.

Was is Belue Farms? I think they had raw milk last time we were there, but I never tried it. I think I'd need it for my dream of cheese-making :)

Was is Belue Farms? I think they had raw milk last time we were there, but I never tried it. I think I'd need it for my dream of cheese-making :)
YES...and if you mention that you have never tried it they may do for you what they did for me. Give you a taste!

Was gonna ask...they do whole & half cows...I know neither of us have room for a whole but maybe split a half cow?

YES...and if you mention that you have never tried it they may do for you what they did for me. Give you a taste!

Was gonna ask...they do whole & half cows...I know neither of us have room for a whole but maybe split a half cow?
Chris and I have been talking about it for a while, as soon as we purchase a deep freezer, we're in!

I used to have a cow share, one gal a week.. I can't drink regular milk, esp anything fat reduced, a little whole is ok but not much before I get the gurgles, bloats and ick, raw is no problem. Todd grew up with it (in the Summer, as his grandfather had a dairy farm in WI, that's all they drank.) It made the most wonderful cream on top fresh yogurt, and the best mozzarella and ricotta cheese I've ever made..

Because we had an allotment of 4g a month, I'd pick up two at a time, make one gallon into cheese, and some of the other gallon into yogurt, then drink the rest.. Eventually we gave it up due to the expense, and at the time, my home-made (crust & all) pizza & lasagne days were coming to an end as I was going for my VSG.

I'd do it again though, just for the mozz.. but don't want another share.. We have a local raw milk delivery place, and the farm has more lenient shares.. so maybe someday again. I miss making my own pizzas, though work, with fresh cheese they were a worthy indulgence!

Here's a link for anyone interested, to make fresh mozz.. You can do it with store bought, with the addition of cal chloride (not needed for raw milk), but it will not taste the same, and the ricotta is nasty, raw=perfect.

http://www.leeners.com/cheese/recipes/mozzarella1.shtml

Latest posts

Back