Questions to ask DS doctor (revision)

MamaShelia

Hello!

As some of you know, I am going to see Dr. Ayoola on Tuesday to consult with him on a revision from a 14.5 yr old RNY/mini bypass to a DS.

What questions do you consider essential questions for me to ask?

Thanks for your input....I AM taking notes! :typing:

Shelia

This is from my own list of questions I took to my surgeon:

• Where and with whom did you receive your DS and RNY to DS revision training?
  • How many DS have you done?
  • How many RNY to DS revisions have you done?
  • What complications from revision surgery are possible? Which ones have been commonly seen by you?
  • Are revisions done lap or open?
  • Common channel length determined by Hess method or a standard length?
  • Sleeve size?
  • How is alimentary limb length determined?
  • Are gallbladder and appendix automatically removed during surgery?
  • How long normally is hospitalization post-OP?
  • How long will I need to remain in Salt Lake City after release?
The following are specific to me because of my medical history. Not everyone will need to ask these things:
  • I was restarting warfarin for life after my revision due to a pulmonary embolism and diagnosed clotting issue per my hematologist and PCP. I needed to receive heparin right before surgery and to come home on warfarin and a Lovenox bridge to be managed by my home hospital's anticoagulation clinic. I asked if there was any problem with this. He did not have a problem and coordinated with my hematologist and PCP.
  • I had a big umbilical hernia I wanted to have repaired during my revision. Simper was happy to take care of it.
The big thing is to go into your appointment knowing what the DS looks like, what you need to do afterwards, and any things you might need.

Latest posts

Back