Protein shakes and gas?

TvanV

Being only 15 days out, I'm still relying heavily on protein shakes to help me meet my goals. Prior to being able to have puréed foods, I thought my excess gas was just a result of the surgery, but now I can definitively link it to my protein shake consumption. Anyone else find this?

I am thinking of getting some Beano and seeing if that makes a difference, or has one of you already done that experiment?

Have you tried different shake brands?

Are there any sugar alcohols in what you're using? Also, any products in there that might cause lactose intolerance problems?

And milk. Some of us become lactose intolerant post-op...so I use an egg white protein shake, but not the ROBB brand because it has sugar alcohols.

Also, if you are using a blender, sometimes all those air bubbles cause trouble. Maybe the shake needs to sit for a while and be gently stirred?

I use Premier Protein (rtd) and Unjury. Neither have sugar alcohols, and when I make the Unjury, I use almond milk.

Sounds like it's just me. I had made it a goal to try to meet my protein goals as soon as possible, so I'll just take this as a sign that that's a good goal! :)

I'd try others, then. Here are pictures of what I used. They may agree with you more. This is what I used (oh, so long ago ;)):

Muscle Milk
Myoplex

When I drank them they had somewhere between 10-20 gr/protein per bottle. They may or may not agree w/you. It's trial & error, unfortunately.

I am very sensitive to soy and whey proteins giving me gas, whether in protein drinks or bars. I can eat powdered egg white protein (not egg protein, yuck!) without those symptoms. It's expensive. I use the unflavored Jay Robb brand and I didn't notice that it had xylitol until this thread. Lactose intolerance occurred for me early on, but got better over time.

You might want to try Rice Protein (naked rice brand) which also doesn't give me gas but doesn't have sugar alcohols. It adds a different texture that I don't like, but it's protein rich.

Esquerra gives Gatorade post-op and I quickly learned that gave me terrible gas. Are you still drinking that?

Hi Clematis - no, they didn't give me Gatorade, just juice, tea, and broth. I've definitely pinned this problem down to the shakes, though. Oh well, Gas-X is my friend until I can get off them!

Hi Clematis - no, they didn't give me Gatorade, just juice, tea, and broth. I've definitely pinned this problem down to the shakes, though. Oh well, Gas-X is my friend until I can get off them!
Are you doing RTD or mixing your own? If mixing your own, make sure it's whey isolate and use water or HWC...do not use milk.

Also, try the Isopure Clear. You can find individual bottles at Vitamin Shoppe before committing to a case.

Lactaid saved me early out. I also bought lactose free milk, mixed half milk and half water with whey protein isolate powder in a shaker cup, not a blender. RTD shakes aren't the best for you as the protein isn't as bioavailable as whey isolate. Good luck! I would not come near my protein needs without a double scoop shake every morning

I stopped using premier rtd because they were bothering my stomach. Now I use powder and mix with water and ice - gotta be really cold or they are yuck

Also, try the Isopure Clear. You can find individual bottles at Vitamin Shoppe before committing to a case.

I bought six bottles of that prior to surgery and managed to choke down two before being completely revolted by them. They taste and smell like beef tallow to me. The other four are collecting dust on my shelf.

Latest posts

Back