Protein level in CMP

CaitlynR

Aspiring Wizard
Does a normal level mean protein intake is adequate?

I know it is not unusual for me to not make my protein goals, and I do know I have lost some muscle mass, but my protein levels are great. If this means protein intake is fine, this means a level of flexibility in how much I need to eat that is reassuring. I’ve had a few CMP tests lately and all are fine for protein.

Does a normal level mean protein intake is adequate?

I know it is not unusual for me to not make my protein goals, and I do know I have lost some muscle mass, but my protein levels are great. If this means protein intake is fine, this means a level of flexibility in how much I need to eat that is reassuring. I’ve had a few CMP tests lately and all are fine for protein.
You want that level at a 7 minimum. Below that, work on getting more protein in.

Mine finally got to 7 this last year...been normal all along but low normal. Been working on it and finally EATING enough apparently with my tiny sleeve part of my DS.

Ok, thanks. My levels range from 6.8-7.9 so I should be good. I think it is safe to not worry about hitting numbers but continue to prioritize protein.

Ok, thanks. My levels range from 6.8-7.9 so I should be good. I think it is safe to not worry about hitting numbers but continue to prioritize protein.
I didn't fret over my numbers as long as I hit my goals...altho I did up my levels to take the lab numbers into account a few years back.

Well, I was more thinking the numbers of grams of protein for daily goals. I often don’t hit my goal (90+) especially on days when eating food is a chore. This doesn’t seem to be hurting my labs so the amount I get in sounds ok. I think part of the problem is I’ve always been rubbish at counting macros, calories, etc in my diet, it is difficult for me and probably not very accurate. If I can just continue to prioritize protein and have a shake or two on days I don’t eat much that is much simpler and seems to be good enough. Some days I think I’m way under and other days I’m over and I think it averages out ok over the week. I think I’m still lower on calories than my office recommends at this stage unless I’m eating cheat foods, simply out of being sick of protein but finding ways to add fat helps. I’m not even sure how to calculate calories with DS math but I guess it doesn’t matter much as long as our protein needs are met and weight loss or maintenance is on schedule. My weight loss is slowed as expected but I’m pleased and likely will not get “ideal” due to my meds and low exercise but I’m ok with that. I can’t imagine myself at 155 and 180 sounds great to me.

Latest posts

Back