Protein Ball

nedsmehlp

My daughter made some protein balls that are absolutely delicious, but I was wondering if they have more sugar grams than I can have. They contain 1 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 1/2 c natural peanut butter, 1 1/2 c honey and 2 scoops protein powder. I figure with 25 pieces there is around 13 grams of sugar in them. Is this way to much sugar? Should I not be having any grams of sugar? I'm only a little over three weeks out. Thanks for any input.

Leave out the honey. Or cut it down to just a couple tablespoons. Oats are full of carbs and some brands of PB have sugar added too. You want your sugar intake to be as low as possible. Generally speaking when the carb count is higher than the protein count, it's not a great food for us. And yes, I am sure these taste great!

Run the numbers. 1.5C honey is 418 carbs plus 1.5C oatmeal 75 carbs plus 1.5C peanut butter 75 carbs=568 carbs/25 pieces= 22.72 carbs per ball. That's almost twice your estimate. I bet you forgot to add the carbs in the oats and pb? For me, 1 of these balls would be my carbs for the day!!!! All I used to figure this out was google. The counts on the products your daughter used may be a bit different.

The next variable is where are you today? Are you still in the healing phase? Still learning to eat and drink? If this is you, a few of these won't hurt. Are you ready to put the hammer down and lose as much as possible as fast as possible? If this is you there are much better choices out there!

Thanks so much Munchkin! I am in the beginning stage of losing. I do NOT want to blow this! I can live without them. I'll make a better choice.

Thanks so much Munchkin! I am in the beginning stage of losing. I do NOT want to blow this! I can live without them. I'll make a better choice.
And I am sure I could probably eat all 25 of them in one sitting! Thought about these and I bet you could freeze them for very occasional use.

A couple months ago I really wanted a real chocolate chip cookie. So I made a batch. I baked 2 and put the rest in the freezer in cookie size balls. Just seeing them there in the freezer makes me feel good. A couple weeks later I ate a raw one too. But there they sit, waiting for a weak moment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back