Pregnancy after DS

Honeybeeblue

Hello Everyone

I wanted to write a quick post on some of the facts that I have learned after DS and getting pregnant.

I got pregnant after approx. 2 years post op.

Vitamins and the dosages we take can be concerning the more you browse through the internet the more concerned you become, however keep in mind it is all about the bloodwork and your results. I was highly concerned about the Vitamin A I took.

Cravings do happen just like a normal pregnancy and its very hard the fight them, but try and find alternates to those salty and sweet snacks. I did give-in the 1st three months and went all out with the old habits and had a reality check once I got on the scale and seen that all my weight gain was excessive for the 1st three months and since then I have really started to focus on healthier option’s.

I feel fuller way quicker than before. I was able to eat about 1 to 1.5 cups post op and now I can barely eat 0.5 cup in one sitting. This started as early as 4 month for me. According to my Doctor this will get worse as the baby moves up higher and I will need to eat more often to keep baby and myself healthy.

My skin feels like it is peeling. No matter how much fat I eat my skin just cannot feel hydrated. I drink lots of water to keep quenched in addition to my bulk sized lotion bottle. In addition to dry skin consitpation is very real and is not fun. I drink a lemon and olive oil shake to help with my bowels.

I do hate the fact that I have gained weight and do have days where I struggle with my self-confidence, but I do remind myself that this is for the health of the baby and that I can work the weight off like before because my tool is still working and is there for the rest of my life.

I am quite short so my intestines are pushed up high and during deliver my doctor is concerned about putting strain on the areas that the DS was done. Time will tell if I get a C-section or natural delivery. I will not know this till later on as monitoring is ongoing.

Hopfully some of this information is helpful to anyone else that is going through the same thing or thinking about children post op. With all the things changing in my body I feel great and do have ups and downs.

Best wishes to you.

Hopefully you are getting labs often. You need to monitor your nutrition carefully and make sure you are getting plenty of protein and fluids. (of course I am telling you nothing you don't already know) .. So I am wondering if TPN might be advised?

How far along are you?

Best wishes to you.

Hopefully you are getting labs often. You need to monitor your nutrition carefully and make sure you are getting plenty of protein and fluids. (of course I am telling you nothing you don't already know) .. So I am wondering if TPN might be advised?

How far along are you?

Hi

I am just shy of 5 months but I thought to keep updating this post as time goes along. I have a great doctor so I get labs one every 5 weeks and I have ultrasounds done every 6 weeks to make sure everything is going well. I sorry but what does TPN stand For??

Cheers

I'm not sure what tpn stands for but @Larra or @DianaCox probably do. Tpn is nutrition fed to you through a picc line or port. I have had it both ways. I currently am getting it through my port. It also has vitamins in the nutrients according to what your lab work says you need. Blood work is taken every week. Of all the people I know who had babies post DS I do not believe any of the required TPN.

Congratulations!!!!!

I'm not sure what tpn stands for but @Larra or @DianaCox probably do. Tpn is nutrition fed to you through a picc line or port. I have had it both ways. I currently am getting it through my port. It also has vitamins in the nutrients according to what your lab work says you need. Blood work is taken every week. Of all the people I know who had babies post DS I do not believe any of the required TPN.

Congratulations!!!!!
Definition of Total parenteral nutrition. Total parenteral nutrition: Intravenous feeding that provides patients with all the fluid and the essential nutrients they need when they are unable to feed themselves by mouth. Abbreviated TPN.

Definition of Total parenteral nutrition. Total parenteral nutrition: Intravenous feeding that provides patients with all the fluid and the essential nutrients they need when they are unable to feed themselves by mouth. Abbreviated TPN.

Should have known you knew Scott

Hi there first off congrats!
I am very interested in hearing about more. Please keep us posted.
I am 5 months out from DS surgery and had problems with fertility before hand so I am eagerly awaiting the time I can start trying to get pregnant. I am 33 yrs old and feel that the next few years are all I have left to get pregnant.

Don't start sweating yet, kittykatkris. I had my first son 2 months shy of 39 and my second son at 40-1/2. Would have liked another (preferably a girl) but am happy with my two, now grown sons.

Okay so I have been away for awhile. I did have my baby girl at a healthy weight of 6 Lb and 2OZ and she was full term. My iron was low through all my pregnancy. I do breastfeed and my baby is smaller for her age but doing healthy. I did go through lots of with feeling very tired. I did Gain 70lbs during my pregnancy and most of it was water. I lost all the weight in 4 months but it has been hard to take care of myself and take care of baby. I dont eat very healthy and do feel that bad habits have definitely came back and I need to get on track. I also have noticed that I do eat way more or my sugars are all over the place. I eat alot more than my one cup but I think that has to do with that I don't always load up on Protein 1st like should.
-I did take Mayer IV vitamins throughout and I found that was very helpful
-protein was a struggle to get in.
-took Iron injections and IV
-ate way to many Carbs and sugar
-increased serving size was noticeable
if anyone has any questions feel free to message me or contact me this was a scary and exciting time and with DS being so rare in my area, it was hard to find doctors that new what was going on. I did find an excellent doctor and is worked out great.
My thyroid has been slow since birth but no pills yet as it might recover, this can occur after birth I guess.My iron levels have been lower but nothing to be concerned about. my Mg level have also dropped and I am working on get them up.

My baby is now 6.5 months old

hope this helps

Latest posts

Back