Pre Op Diet SENIORITIS

Caitlunn

I'm currently in month 5 of my 6 month, insurance required weight loss program, and I have to admit, I have absolutely given up on it. When I started, I remember telling myself that I was really going to try this time, give it my all, in the hopes that I "wouldn't need" surgery. But in the back of my mind, I always knew I would end up here. I had started the pre-surgery protocol about two years ago, and ended up putting it on the back burner after taking a job as a long haul trucker. But even then, I knew that this was the step I needed to take--if diet and exercise really were the answer for me, they would have worked the four, five, six times I have tried them before.

It was nice to finally be honest with my dietitian about what my ultimate goal was. Since my surgeon is 2.5 hrs away and in a different state, I got the whole diet program out of the way a little closer to home. For anyone that's interested, at the Parkview Regional Hospital in Fort Wayne, IN. And ultimately....they suck. I mean, the staff is very nice, they know me by name and remember personal details about my life. But. They're pretty deep in the 1200-1500 calories, high protein, low fat low carb starve yourself type dieting and that just doesnt work for me. I've been there for 5 months and have literally never seen the doctor that oversees the program. I've lost no weight--and now that I've not been really restricting myself, I'm 2 lbs over my starting weight. There's been no discussion as to why I haven't lost anything. At least my insurance is footing the bill, because mostly, this has been a waste of my time.

I WILL SAY that I have learned a few things. That's what I need to keep telling myself. I have a hunch that I am a super absorber--I would definitely need to go under 1200 calories to lose weight at this point. I've also learned that my hunger is like, 90% mental. It doesn't matter if I eat 1200 or 4000 calories a day, I just feel hungry most of the time, even with a protein driven diet. I dont mind the taste of most protein shakes but they do noooot make me feel full.

I didn't really care for the behaviorist at my surgeons office but she did give me a list of some literature about emotional hunger issues, I think that's going to be my next step. I don't have my surgery date but I'm thinking it'll fall sometime in early May, so I've got a little bit of time to start working on it.

If diets worked, there would be no fat people. Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. If you have a heart attack, the doc fixes the blocked artery. He doesn't tell you to do it yourself. Treat the disease and have the surgery. Just like the rest of us, you have probably suffered enough. Just play the games they require.

As I read this I can't help but think these are GOOD things!!!! I think most of us had a feeling 'we could do it ourselves' one last time before we finally accepted that we needed surgical help. It's also positive that you realise all of your hunger isn't physical :) And yes! Get to reading! Even if 75% of it is hogwash...there will be 25% you can apply to your journey :)

Hope you join the losers bench soon!

Latest posts

Back