PPIs & antacids

Well, I managed over a month but noticed the last week the GERD was kicking back in...so in spite of the PPI being bad for my bones, I went back to it tonight.

Now to find another use for the ACV, LOL

damn! well, I assume I will be on the PPI for ever myownself.
I found myself googling so here are two links and a recipe to get you started.

15 reasons to use ACV

more

Triple Citrus Dill Vinaigrette from here

Ingredients:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup grapefruit juice
1 day-old baked potato
1/4 cup dill leaves
1/2 cup flax oil

Instructions: Put all ingredients in blender and puree. That’s it!

Store in a mason jar and enjoy on salad or cooked greens!

Yield: About 3 cups

The proportions are approximate (we improvise a lot), so you can experiment and adjust to your liking. If you don’t have any grapefruit around the house, just double up on the orange juice (or vice-versa, depending on the contents of your pantry). This dressing is actually pretty creamy because of the potato, but just add more apple cider vinegar if you want to enhance the tart, vinegary taste.

For the citrus juices, be sure to use fresh squeezed, raw juice, not store-bought juice from concentrate. We recommend using a reamer to squeeze the citrus juice, but you can do it by hand too. It’s messier, but works in a pinch.

edited to add: obviously you might want to leave out the potato and add butter or cream...!

Prevacid twice a day, Carafate four times a day. I don't think it is working though. Doc said to give it two weeks. We will see.
Prevacid and carafate both did nothing for me. The only thing that has consistently worked is Dexilant. Even on the Protonix 2x a day, I still had some breakthrough reflux.

Prevacid and carafate both did nothing for me. The only thing that has consistently worked is Dexilant. Even on the Protonix 2x a day, I still had some breakthrough reflux.
That's why I always ask which PPI someone is on...
I know from my own experience that not everyone works for everybody. While Prilosec works for many, it does not work for every one of us. Prevacid does work for me and so does Protonix...but you have to find what works best for yourself...don't assume like many do that just because prilosec doesn't work, none will.

I'm glad you have one that does work for you. I know others are on Dexilant for the same reason...it's the only one that works.

4 years later!

I am trying to cut my omeprazole dose at least down to one per day and using apple cider vinegar (just the cheapo one from walmart, no "Mother") - a teaspoon chased with water for when I have heartburn anyway.

it is helping so far which would encourage me far more if Liz hadn't reported good results at first.

:dontknow:

it is helping so far which would encourage me far more if Liz hadn't reported good results at first.
Keep trying. I may try again with Zantac as a backup. I had to add Zantac for the occasional break thru anyway. And maybe doing it morning and night might help more than just one dose a day.

I just recently found a forum dedicated to helping people get off anti-depressants. I am already done as of last May so I'd wish I'd found it earlier, but there are still things to learn.

I bring it up because they have several threads on trying to get off PPIs. what do you think to me linking to one of them?

it seems to me that maybe it's the drugs that are hardest to get off are the ones you most need to get off - like, if it's that big a deal for your body it could be all the more dangerous. just my WAG. :dontknow:

Latest posts

Back