PPIs & antacids

I didn't have heart burn issues much before surgery, but since if I miss my daily Prilosec, I know it. I am 10 1/2 weeks post-op, do you think I could try vinegar? Or should I wait? I eat pickles just fine, lol.

I have heard that a lot of people only have the issues for a few months. *I* would continue with the PPI for a while. You may one of the ones that can quit taking them completely. :smile:

I have heard that a lot of people only have the issues for a few months. *I* would continue with the PPI for a while. You may one of the ones that can quit taking them completely. :smile:
And I am one who still takes the blasted things even 3 years out.

I've ordered the Bragg's to see if I can come off my Prevacid.

Prevacid twice a day, Carafate four times a day. I don't think it is working though. Doc said to give it two weeks. We will see.

Just so y'all know...there is currently debate within the medical community about the relationship, if any, between PPIs and C Difficile.

My GI doctor says there IS no relationship, but the literature isn't quite as convinced as he is.
Sue, I read those...that is what pushed me to going ahead and ordering the apple cider vinegar.

Liz, what is the plan - or, what are you doing, how much and mixed with what? I want to try this too.

Liz, what is the plan - or, what are you doing, how much and mixed with what? I want to try this too.
My plan is a tablespoon mixed with a bit of honey one time a day. Once I stop my PPI that I am on right now, it typically shows back up about 3 days later. And it's always worse at night.

I've read the good and bad side of apple cider vinegar. One thing that stuck in my mind was to keep it away from your teeth. Well since honey doesn't usually go thru a straw, rinsing my mouth afterward is a good idea. I haven't gotten it yet...ordered it from Amazon but it's coming from a third party.

OK.

I tried some of what I had (not brags but another brand, does have The Mother) but I may have had too much. as I recall, I just took a slug. anyway - I GOT heartburn from it.

but I was clearly doing it wrong.

anyway - will be interested to hear what your experience is.

OK.

I tried some of what I had (not brags but another brand, does have The Mother) but I may have had too much. as I recall, I just took a slug. anyway - I GOT heartburn from it.

but I was clearly doing it wrong.

anyway - will be interested to hear what your experience is.
Got the vinegar yesterday...so I started this morning. I poured about an ounce in a glass and added honey...tried using a spoon...thought I would DIE, so just upended the glass and just drank it...not too bad but my nose started running! I then went in and rinsed my mouth to get the acid off my teeth.

IF things run normal, I'll know by the end of the weekend if it's working.

Got the vinegar yesterday...so I started this morning. I poured about an ounce in a glass and added honey...tried using a spoon...thought I would DIE, so just upended the glass and just drank it...not too bad but my nose started running! I then went in and rinsed my mouth to get the acid off my teeth.

IF things run normal, I'll know by the end of the weekend if it's working.

I got some ACV and have been meaning to try it but I haven't yet. I am following this with much interest. :)

well? :icon_tongue:
I was fairly miserable over the weekend but I believe it is working now...I guess my body was SO reliant on the PPI that even tho I did the ACV the next day, it still kicked the GERD back into high gear for a few days.

I will say, I wasn't miserable enough to go back to the PPI, LOL.

I know PPIs take a few days to work fully - so it would seem like you would get worse for a few days...so it's even better that you are better...

did you pick one oz for a reason, or just guessing?

I know PPIs take a few days to work fully - so it would seem like you would get worse for a few days...so it's even better that you are better...

did you pick one oz for a reason, or just guessing?
Actually doing 1 tablespoon...easier to measure. Not sure how much that is in oz.

Latest posts

Back