PPIs & antacids

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by brooklyngirl, Jan 15, 2014.

brooklyngirl

brooklyngirl Yankee gone south

So I know we're all different, but I'm curious. What type of PPIs/acid reducers/antacids are you guys on? What has and hasn't worked for you?
    Right now I'm on Prilosec (omeprazole) and Zantac (ranitidine)

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

Prilosec did squat for me...I have to use either Prevacid or Protonix. (I use the generics)

Elizabeth N.

Elizabeth N. Herder of cats

Dexilant.

JackieOnLine

JackieOnLine Moderator Staff Member

I have been on omeprazole since surgery but when they changed it to timed release, it stopped working as well for me. at least, that's what I think happened.

I switched over to Zegerid OTC and I would really like a cheaper alternative. it works great no matter how much coffee I drink but it's, what, $23 for a box? that's 42 pills but I take them twice a day. 3 weeks...

Zegerid is just omeprazole plus
    Sodium Bicarbonate
    Protects Omeprazole in Zegerid OTC®
    from stomach acid.

does that even make sense?

SHales

SHales Well-Known Member

I take protonix but Dexilant works better, just can't afford it right now.

brooklyngirl

I originally had Prilosec once a day, then I stupidly stopped for a while thinking it wasn't doing anything, big mistake! Went back on it, dr suggested to try 2ce a day and it didn't make a difference. Did a month of dexilant for more than 10x the price and felt no different. Now back on Prilosec with the addition of Zantac and that has helped a bunch, but I'm still burpy quite a bit.

JJ The Jet Plane

JJ The Jet Plane Well-Known Member

At the current time I do not need any, I do drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 2x a day in 8 ounces of water- does it taste good, not necessarily, its working so far. Keeping me from taking more pills.

JackieOnLine and SHales like this.
    Jo777

Jo777 Aug 2017

Some dose of prilosec/omez from before surgery till now- 20mg a day, sometimes 10mg. I do buy the generic omez online from an online pharm, they are insanely less than I can get the store brands, and they work just the same. It's a life-long med for me, been on it for 10+ years, was hoping that losing weight would solve it- nope. I did wean myself almost off, by doing the taper, taper, zantac/taper, zantac.. but it just didn't completely cover it. I had a lot of breakthrough acid.. now I just usually take a tiny sip of Gaviscon at bedtime, and that's it..

JackieOnLine

I wonder if I should try regular omeprazole again. doesn't that sound like it should be a pasta?

JackieOnLine

apple cider vinegar? I own some of that.

SHales

SHales Well-Known Member

I am going to try this, I said I was going to a while back but things got in the way. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Whit

Whit Well-Known Member

Right after surgery I took Protonix once daily. I took them for about 6 months then stopped. If I an acidy stomach now I take a big swig of Generic Malox from CVS (mint flavored) to coat my stomach. Works beautifully.

brooklyngirl

Apple cider vinegar is a strange magical substance ;)

JackieOnLine likes this.
    JJ The Jet Plane

JJ The Jet Plane Well-Known Member

I know its weird but it works for me. Once in the morning Once at night and if I do something more spicy or tomato based then I add a pepcid chewable but that is rare! and Saves Moolah Too, I hope you give it a try.

JackieOnLine

I am curious..and I own apple cider vinegar...and I am trying to cut back on coffee..and I hate paying so much for taking my PPI twice a day. sounds like I need to give this a try in place of my PM pill. :cool:

:X3: < what does this mean? I'm thinking constipated!