PPI AND dementia?

Charris

Now an angel
I went to mý Dr to get med refills. She tells me that new studies show that taking a PPI every day may cause dementia. Anyone else heard of this? So she suggested I take mý Protonix every other day. I said ok, knowing I was lying. I have no desire to wake up crying begging for help because the acid is too bad to handle knowing it will be coming out my nose soon! Shoot as bad as my memory has become from everything else I'll take mý chances with the PPI. If the cracked open skull or protein deficiency didn't completely do it I'll probably make it through the PPI. LOL

Last edited:
If you really need it, you need it. And every damn thing causes dementia. This all translates to, WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CAUSES DEMENTIA.

If you could do without the PPI, I would be the first in line to tell you to quit taking it. I am all for not taking meds you don't need. As a society, we are overmedicated. Both with OTC and prescription drugs. And I am still moaning about doing without benedryl because it also causes dementia and is not good for the "elderly". But I CAN function without it so I am down to taking it once a week or so and that's the only time I get a good night's sleep.

Any study about dementia is instantly newsworthy. Even if the study is not at all definitive.

...or...maybe not:

Based on the current published literature, this systematic review has identified that the reported association between PPI use and dementia is limited by methodological issues and conflicting results. Further longitudinal studies with robust bias limitation are required to explore the use of PPIs and dementia or acute cognitive impairment, and to ascertain the existence of any causal relationships.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28128476

YEA @Spiky Bugger and @Munchkin I kind of felt like I was doing the nutritionist consult. Shake you head yes yes when you made up your mind in the first 15 seconds you were not going to do it and stop listening while i was already thinking about what I had to do once i left her office. lol

...and kidney damage and kidney stones. PPIs have 12% higher risk for kidney stones, H2s have a 13% risk. These antacids cause stones by impairing calcium digestion, we DSers already have impaired calcium digestion so this calcium ends up in kidney stones.

I have just weaned myself from PPI to H2 as they say it is easier to get off of H2s, however after more than a month on H2s my heartburn (the heartburn I NEVER had until I tried to get off of PPIs) is still raging.

Getting off PPIs is HARD!! The rebound acid effect is absolutely brutal. Because of the side effects and the near-impossibility of getting off the stuff, many are incredulous that the FDA approved PPIs for OTC.

...and kidney damage and kidney stones. PPIs have 12% higher risk for kidney stones, H2s have a 13% risk. These antacids cause stones by impairing calcium digestion, we DSers already have impaired calcium digestion so this calcium ends up in kidney stones.

I have just weaned myself from PPI to H2 as they say it is easier to get off of H2s, however after more than a month on H2s my heartburn (the heartburn I NEVER had until I tried to get off of PPIs) is still raging.

Getting off PPIs is HARD!! The rebound acid effect is absolutely brutal. Because of the side effects and the near-impossibility of getting off the stuff, many are incredulous that the FDA approved PPIs for OTC.

The effects are hard period. My mom's twin didn't use on she ended up with damage to the esophagus and had to have a fundiplication (sp?). She also lost all her teeth. HONESTLY THE WAY IT BURNS AT NIGHT AND I WAKE UP CRYING BEGGING FOR HELP. I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES.

I spend the night a lot with mý cousin/sister and we sleep in the same bed. She NOW ALWAYS HAS A small supply of my Protonix and a row of crackers by the bed. She will wake me up if I'm not sleeping on mý left side also. She knows if i have not had my protonix I wake up screaming bloody murder. it scared the sh** out of her the 1st time it hapened.

Yes. This.

And they (along with opioids, aging and gastric surgery) are apparently a major cause of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) because in the absence of sufficient stomach acid to digest food, food stays too long in the small intestine and begins to ferment.

Meh - I take a double daily dose. Having an endoscopy next Friday because it's been a long time since my last one, and we've met our deductible for the plan year (restarts in September).

I'm hoping that 2010 paper isn't considered correct anymore ...

Latest posts

Back