Post VSG week 3 - Stalled already? How can this be?

Cathy D

I can't tell what I am doing wrong. Tracking everything I eat on My Fitness Pal. Eating only 3-4 oz of food 6 times a day for a max calorie of 650 a day. Adding isopure unflavored protein powder to 3 meals a day to keep protein level above 80, which is what my NUT told me I need to maintain my bone and muscle mass. I'm eating about 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat. What am I doing wrong? I was losing 1 to 1 1/2 lbs a day. Now I have lost no weight in 3 days. Any suggestion?

Yes, STAY OFF THE SCALE!!!
Just keep track of your food and fluid but do NOT weigh unless you are in a doctor's office.

The three week stall is INFAMOUS... http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

The Inevitable Stall
By Diana C. (our own @DianaCox )

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Adjust your unrealistic expectations and STAY OFF THE DAMNED SCALE. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You are not stalled. Did you get on the scale every day to measure how much weight you had GAINED? I didn't think so. So what makes you think you're going to record a loss every day now?

From my extensive post reading it appears about 90% of people have a stall about week 3-4. I weigh myself about every two weeks so far, and haven't noticed any stall but maybe I lost a bunch week 4 and stalled week 3?? No matter, the weight is coming off when it wants to. I just keep sticking to drinking and eating protein my body will do the rest

All my clothes are loose and I was able to trade in my chair at work for a chair without a broken arm. Also, I visited my sister last weekend and she has a small powder room downstairs with a door the size of a closet. I was able to walk through that door without turning sideways. Everyday is a great day.

Not to start a riot or anything, I weigh twice a day, morning and night. I like to see how I fluctuate.

I am so glad I'm not the only one. I have to weigh daily because my primary care doctor wants me to take a water pill if I gain 2+ lbs in one day. It will not keep me from my goal, but if I didn't ask the question, I would not have found out that I should not eat carbs in my evening snack. Thank you everyone for your support.

I am drinking something all the time. I drink 64 ounces of plain water per day and diet iced tea and other beverages all day long. My labs still show dehydration in some areas. Weighing everyday lets me see if I might have lost a lot of fluid. I am now aiming for 96 ounces of plain water plus whatever else I want to drink. Everyone is so different in how the scale is both used and how I affects us. :th youknow:

I am so glad I'm not the only one. I have to weigh daily because my primary care doctor wants me to take a water pill if I gain 2+ lbs in one day.

valid medical reason trumps our stuff :cool:

It will not keep me from my goal, but if I didn't ask the question, I would not have found out that I should not eat carbs in my evening snack.

I am pro-questions, that's for sure.

so, all carbs before a certain time? I don't think I've heard of this. interesting!

Thank you everyone for your support.

you are very welcome and we are tickled to get new posters! :water ski:

Latest posts

Back