Possible link between diet beverages and obesity?

Myth 2: Diet sodas make you gain weight.
Fact: While you may have read that diet beverages make you gain weight, a recent clinical trial found just the opposite. In the 12-week study, published in the journal Obesity, dieters who drank diet beverages lost 13 pounds on average — 44 percent more than subjects drinking water only, who lost an average of nine pounds. What's more, the diet-soda drinkers reported feeling more satisfied. This study adds to a substantial body of research demonstrating that low-calorie sweeteners and the diet beverages that contain them do not hinder but can in fact help with weight loss. Two peer-reviewed studies published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition by researchers from the University of North Carolina in 2012 and 2013 randomly assigned subjects to drink either water or diet beverages (without making any other changes to their diet). After six months, the diet-beverage group had a greater likelihood of reaching a meaningful amount of weight loss — five percent of one's body weight — compared to the control group. These studies reinforce that if you're trying to lose weight, diet beverages may help you peel off pounds, as they can help you achieve and maintain a lower-calorie eating plan.

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Food-Nutrition-Myths-35730795

I still want to read more about what diet soda might do to our gut flora.

I can but don't like too...and I have been using splenda since it first was made available BY mail order thru the company before it was allowed in the stores in 1998.
What do you think of Swerve? I REALLY like the taste. I have been doing low carb for months before my surgery to control my diabetes, and I use Swerve in everything

Understanding Erythritol
Erythritol is made by fermenting glucose with Moniliella pollinis (a natural microorganism found in honeycomb) which breaks down the glucose and yields erythritol. Erythritol also naturally occurs in many fruits and vegetables like melons, grapes, asparagus as well as fermented foods. It is classified by the FDA as a zero calorie, 4-carbon sugar alcohol that does not affect blood glucose. It is easy on the digestive system and does not cause gastric distress associated with other sugar alcohols.

Understanding Oligosaccharides
Oligosaccharides are sweet, non-digestible carbohydrates extracted from fruit and vegetable sources. They are similar to fiber and can help stimulate beneficial bacteria in the large intestine.
The natural flavors in Swerve are derived from food sources. For those concerned about MSG being labeled as a natural flavor, you can be assured that MSG is not contained in Swerve.
- See more at: http://www.swervesweetener.com/what-is-swerve/#sthash.p4xzUhVg.dpuf

Inulin is a starchy substance found in a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and herbs, including wheat, onions, bananas, leeks, artichokes, and asparagus. The inulin that is used for medicine is most commonly obtained by soaking chicory roots in hot water.

Inulin is used for high blood fats, including cholesterol and triglycerides. It is also used for weight loss, constipation, and as a food additive to improve taste.
How does it work?
Inulin is not digested or absorbed in the stomach. It goes to the bowels where bacteria are able to use it to grow. It supports the growth of a special kind of bacteria that are associated with improving bowel function and general health. Inulin decreases the body's ability to make certain kinds of fats.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...IngredientId=1048&activeIngredientName=INULIN

I think that Oligosaccharides are inulin. Is that right @Jo777?

I finally found a Stevia I like - it's called Sweetleaf and you can get a powder that you just add a bit to whatever.
Do you not like the other stevias because of a bitter aftertaste? If so, I need to try Sweetleaf. I finally broke down and bought some stevia plants, but it's a hassle to use real leaves.

About the stevias- I had the same issue- this is the one I use *pic below- and I don't get much if any bitterness when used IN stuff, if I drip a drop into my mouth, I notice something, but it's also very potent.. I do NOT like the alcohol free all glycerin one, not only do I get a bit of bitterness, it gets gloopy.

nunaturals_clear_stevia.jpg

I also love EZ-Sweetz (liquid sucralose, no maltodextrin) for boosting the sweetening powder of Swerve (or my home-made mix, of erythritol and inulin.) I get the super-concentrated .5oz bottles, so a little goes a looong way.
http://www.netrition.com/ezsweetz.html

About the stevias- I had the same issue- this is the one I use *pic below- and I don't get much if any bitterness when used IN stuff, if I drip a drop into my mouth, I notice something, but it's also very potent.. I do NOT like the alcohol free all glycerin one, not only do I get a bit of bitterness, it gets gloopy.

nunaturals_clear_stevia.jpg

I also love EZ-Sweetz (liquid sucralose, no maltodextrin) for boosting the sweetening powder of Swerve (or my home-made mix, of erythritol and inulin.) I get the super-concentrated .5oz bottles, so a little goes a looong way.
http://www.netrition.com/ezsweetz.html

I was cooking with the mix of of erythritol and inulin today, cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes. I did notice it is not as sweet as other sweeteners nor as sweet as sugar but tasty! I am hoping my family won't even notice.

@newanatomy , yes- it's about, oh maybe 60-70% as sweet? So boosting sweeteners seems to work well. I found the link to mixing your sugar subs below one night, but I have just winged it, tasting as I and adding a few drops of the liquid sucralose/stevia as needed.

http://www.djfoodie.com/Blog/2014/05/19/The-Sweet-Spot-VII--Homemade-Sugar-Replacement-Blends

I ended up adding a little Splenda to the cranberry sauce. It was just too tart for me. The sweet potatoes will be topped with marshmallows so, I didn't want them too sweet anyway. Thanks for sharing the tips!

Latest posts

Back