Possible ketosis, does the funky taste ever go away?

AtomicMelanie

Dread Pirate
Am on day 4 of the 800 cal, low carb, pre-op diet. Have been averaging about 110-120 g protein, 40-50 g carb, 10 g fat daily. Must be approaching ketosis, because I feel the low-carb flu coming on. Headache, funky taste in my mouth, funky smell, fuzzy-headedness. :sick:

Does the taste ever subside, or is that something I'm gonna have to live with? Will it continue post-op?

At 50 carb you're not very low carb -- although if you were a carb-o-colic as many of us were, you may be in withdrawal from that. (While on Atkins I could only achieve litmus-strip ketosis with the sort of metallic mouth taste if I went below 15 gr of carbs, even though the good doctor said it would happen at 20 gr.) I'm guessing you feel bad because of the ultra low fat. Geez 10 gr doesn't support brain function. Soon you'll be off of this cockamamie pre-op diet that surgeon orders and on to the high fat, high protein DS diet.

Am on day 4 of the 800 cal, low carb, pre-op diet. Have been averaging about 110-120 g protein, 40-50 g carb, 10 g fat daily. Must be approaching ketosis, because I feel the low-carb flu coming on. Headache, funky taste in my mouth, funky smell, fuzzy-headedness. :sick:

Does the taste ever subside, or is that something I'm gonna have to live with? Will it continue post-op?
I had similar type of experience but I'm quite certain with me it was my caffeine withdrawal. I was a heavy duty coffee drinker. I haven't had any for five weeks now but I really did detox.

At 50 carb you're not very low carb -- although if you were a carb-o-colic as many of us were, you may be in withdrawal from that. (While on Atkins I could only achieve litmus-strip ketosis with the sort of metallic mouth taste if I went below 15 gr of carbs, even though the good doctor said it would happen at 20 gr.) I'm guessing you feel bad because of the ultra low fat. Geez 10 gr doesn't support brain function. Soon you'll be off of this cockamamie pre-op diet that surgeon orders and on to the high fat, high protein DS diet.

Thanks - I guess everything is like breaking an addiction. Just another price to pay. Will mostly be glad to get off this crap fake "food!" :)

I had similar type of experience but I'm quite certain with me it was my caffeine withdrawal. I was a heavy duty coffee drinker. I haven't had any for five weeks now but I really did detox.

I've heard that caffeine withdrawals can be brutal. I quit caffeine 4 months ago (was a diet soda fiend), but fortunately didn't have too tough a time with it.

Day 4 of how many days? Sounds like it's time for a double bacon cheeseburger.

(Which is my way of sneaking in the factoid that many of us survived the surgery, with some of the very most experienced surgeons, with no pre-op diet. Don't make yourself sick trying to get healthy.)

Day 4 of how many days? Sounds like it's time for a double bacon cheeseburger.

(Which is my way of sneaking in the factoid that many of us survived the surgery, with some of the very most experienced surgeons, with no pre-op diet. Don't make yourself sick trying to get healthy.)

Hahaha! Day 4 of 30. I could just about eat my own arm right now.

They said it was for the liver shrink, yada yada yada. I know I'm a big wuss; thank you (and everybody) for putting up with my whining!

They said it was for the liver shrink, yada yada yada. I know I'm a big wuss; thank you (and everybody) for putting up with my whining!
No! Not calling you a wuss. More calling your surgeon a torturer. My surgery was open. If he couldn't work around the liver in THAT situation, I needed a more talented surgeon.

No! Not calling you a wuss. More calling your surgeon a torturer. My surgery was open. If he couldn't work around the liver in THAT situation, I needed a more talented surgeon.
I think her surgeon (and mine since they are partners) use the pre-op torture diet as 1) a way to make money on their products and 2) weed out those who think it's bull shit.

With that said, in that group, I was lucky...my BMI was too close to the bottom cutoff point that I was told NOT to lose a single lb...made the NUTS NUTS cause I didn't have to adhere to their asinine diet.

Yeah, I think they're trying to milk us for every penny with their "food."
I had to do a 5 day starvation thing pre op. 30 days sounds like pure torture. Bariatric surgeons should surely realize that if we were capable of going 30 days without food, we would probably not be in need of bariatric surgery to solve our morbid obesity !!!! Like not eating hadn't occurred to us before??

Both my lapband and DS surgeons didn't require any pre-op diet, other than the usual 'mushy foods the day before, fast from the evening' routine for surgery. I feel very lucky, having heard some of your stories about all the hoops some people have to jump through!

Sorry but that is ridiculously stupid diet plan and your surgeon needs the shot slapped out of him for making you do that.

@AtomicMelanie - won't comment on the doc :) since he was mine too. I just did the 3 weeks so know what you are going thru. I don't regret it - it was a great head start on the weight loss. One thing that is very important - make sure you are getting all your water in. With all the protein you are consuming and the likely hood of ketosis - you need to protect your kidney's and flush all that stuff out.

Latest posts

Back