POD#2: Home

DBmom23

i couldn't sleep last night in bed just thinking about how 72 hours prior I had been in the same place and now I'm back again with my insides completely rerouted starting off on this new journey. There was definitely a bit of discomfort there too.
Today I am feeling better than yesterday but still very sore and limited with my mobility. I am so happy to be out of the hospital. Just need to make sure I'm not pushing myself too much.

Yesterday had 64oz clear liq by end of day + quarter cup yogurt and 2 bites applesauce.
Today will try a protein drink.

My bowels are still completely shut down. No gas or any action. May be the pain mess contributing. Doc told me not to worry about it at this point.

Ok, now I'm worn out just from this little post. Back to bed. Such a strange feeling--I'm excited but also extremely nervous about what awaits me.

I feel like I need to share my experience with you. My bowels and intestines were completely shut down as well for the first few days. I had a lot of pain from the gas being "backed up" so to speak. Then on night five, I had what I call "the unholiest night". Every thing started working at once, and I expelled enough gas to raise the Hindenburg. I woke up in the middle of the night and opened a window because I was afraid my condo would explode from the methane. Every step I took, I tooted. I was afraid to light to a candle.
When I woke up on morning six, I was a new person. I felt so much better, I wanted to eat, and the stomach pain was gone (I still had the surgery pain - just not the gas pains). Not to mention that my stomach had gone down about five inches.

It may sound weird to wish that on anyone, but I hope you have one of those nights very soon.

I so appreciate you sharing! It's hard to know how much pain is surgical vs gas. I am just going to keep hydrating and walking and see what happens for now.

Sorry about the continued discomfort, but isn't being at home the best feeling? I know it was for me. Just stay focused on liquids, and if protein drinks don't sit well that's ok. You have plenty of protein stores to get you through the first few weeks. Use whatever liquids work, whether they have protein or not. My favorite early out was Progresso soup. Regular chicken broth tasted bad, but Progresso tasted good. Just don't eat the solid stuff in the soup.

Latest posts

Back