Please Help: Bougie Chart & Comparison to Pens

k9ophile

Somewhere floating around in cyberspace is a picture of pens and markers and how their size compares to different French Bougies. If anyone can post it, I'm sure there are some who haven't seen it and I would like to see it again myself.

Somewhere floating around in cyberspace is a picture of pens and markers and how their size compares to different French Bougies. If anyone can post it, I'm sure there are some who haven't seen it and I would like to see it again myself.
You mean this one:
bougiesize.jpg

I have no clue what mine was...I just know what my surgeon told me in oz...he made mine a 4 oz size. Today, it feels like 2 oz.

That's the one ^^I had it from a post on the OtHer site. I'll have to check.

Here's an article that talks about the French unit of catheter measurement, and it gives a measurement in inches for each unit of Fr. This particular scale doesn't go up as big as most of our bougie sizes, but you can do the math and see the difference is fractions of an inch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_catheter_scale

:YEAHTHAT1: Thanks! I have it on my C drive and STILL not clever enough to know how to post pictures. :frustrated:

@jjordan8130 This is the picture I told you about in a PM. This totally amazed me the first time I saw it. When you see Houston, you'll have a reference when you discuss Bougie size.

Last edited:
I asked earlier. I'm trying to rationalize why I've been able to get in and hold down so much fluid already. I distinctly remember (even in my dilaudid coma) that he said he used a 50 Bougie when I asked him about size. It makes sense that he did, because he continued to tell me at the hospital his concern wasn't about the surgery itself (I will give him credit. Dr. Houston is an amazing cutter). His concern was about malnutrition and malabsoprtion. I figured he'd give me a slightly larger sleeve than what he would a sleeve only patient. I see him tomorrow morning to have my JP taken out and I plan on talking with him about it. I'm confident I heard him correctly, but it doesn't hurt to verify.

Since the LENGTH of the sleeve matters to the volume as much as the diameter, the diameter alone as a measure is meaningless - except that a diameter that is too small can make a person MISERABLE, for a long time - and it will still stretch out anyway. And frankly, IMO, the difference between the biggest and smallest bougie isn't all that dramatic to justify the misery. In 10 years, it won't matter what size it started out as.

@DianaCox Excellent point. In 10 years it won't matter anyway. A friend of mine recently had sleeve with a doc in the same group as mine. She was absolutely miserable in the beginning. Still is from time to time. She said she had a 32. I'm thankful I can keep my liquids down without being nauseated. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back