Phoenix: Dr. Arnold? Potter?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
At my appointment with the general surgeon about my incisional hernia, he suggested that I should get connected with a bariatric surgeon in my medical group, Dr. William Arnold, MD or Kevin Potter, DO - he said both of them do the DS. I oddly can't get the "find a physician" tab on the WLS page to open - anyone know anything about either of them?

Diana, what you could do is have one appointment and vet them.

About 2 years ago, my PCP started having second thoughts about pulling our DS labs so he insisted on us seeing the local barbaric surgeon in that particular hospital system. We did and it was fruitful. We found out that he knew of the DS (Hess method) and had actually trained in it but he was a one man barbaric office in the hospital system and due to the high "maintenance" of the DS patient and the need for the smart and willing patients, he opted to not perform the DS. He mostly does the VSG now. Calls it the "sleeve them and leave them" surgery.

What we did find out was IF something had happened to us that required a barbaric surgeon (not just a general or GI surgeon) then he would be there for us to fix whatever had gone wrong.

He also told our PCP to continue handling our labs. :)

You can google as well as I can, but in 2016 they opened a WLS practice together, Bariatric Wellness Institute at the Abrazo Scottsdale Campus. "Scottsdale Campus offers three surgical weight loss options using minimally invasive laparoscopic techniques: Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch and Sleeve Gastrectomy. In addition, revision surgery to treat complications from gastric band or ring or a previous bariatric procedure also is available." Bring a book, though, the average wait time is 15-30 minutes.
http://azbigmedia.com/ab/weight-loss-surgery-abrazo-scottsdale

The general surgeon I saw yesterday thought I should hook up with a local DS surgeon to ask about the intense pain I'm having from time to time in the region around my lower anastomosis (or around my remaining ovary). I thought it would be a good idea too to find out in advance if there is a DS surgeon I would trust, rather than having Charles drive me to Dr. K or up to SF to Dr. Rabkin. As we all know as a mantra, there are NO DS surgeons in AZ - it would be good to know if this problem has been resolved.

I just Googled them both what is strange is Kevin Potter is listed as his practices and Goodyear but he's affiliated with Scottsdale abrazo those are like across the world from each other @DianaCox

The general surgeon I saw yesterday thought I should hook up with a local DS surgeon to ask about the intense pain I'm having from time to time in the region around my lower anastomosis (or around my remaining ovary). I thought it would be a good idea too to find out in advance if there is a DS surgeon I would trust, rather than having Charles drive me to Dr. K or up to SF to Dr. Rabkin. As we all know as a mantra, there are NO DS surgeons in AZ - it would be good to know if this problem has been resolved.
My general surgeon didn't ask me to see a bariatric surgeon. Where is your surgeon in Phoenix?? Are they doing it outpatient?

I met with another doctor in their practice about a year and a half ago, can't remember his name off the top of my head ( I will look it up) they were nice and seemed fairly knowledgeable explaining a lot of surgery types with drawings and diagrams however warned me off the DS because the "risk of complication is so high". However I don't know if that is just because mine was a complicated revision.

At my appointment with the general surgeon about my incisional hernia, he suggested that I should get connected with a bariatric surgeon in my medical group, Dr. William Arnold, MD or Kevin Potter, DO - he said both of them do the DS. I oddly can't get the "find a physician" tab on the WLS page to open - anyone know anything about either of them?
My Bariatric surgeon referred me to a General surgeon who specializes in Hernia surgery.. go figure..lol

The general surgeon referred me to a reconstructive plastic surgeon who also does hernia repairs. The referral to the DS surgeon was just with respect to my gut issues that I thought MIGHT be related to the incisional hernia, but he said it was not, and that maybe I should have a consult with a local surgeon since I've moved away from Rabkin.

Hey @DianaCox how long is the ride to Rabkin? cause honestly i think in regards to ds stuff i will forever go to see dr. K. Even when suggested by others to see someone here no one wanted to touch me with a 10ft pole. They just would tell me go to the mayo clinic. Well if I'm going to drive almost 2 hours to get there heyy i may as well go the extra and see dr. K.

@Charris - I agree. I thought he had an office in Peoria or Glendale, but now I don't see that. I'm not driving to North East Phoenix (37 miles) to see someone who probably isn't a "real" DS surgeon. Rabkin is about 800 miles/a 2 hour plane flight away, and Keshishian is a bit closer.

Update - I saw this exchange on another website:
"I'm 6 months out from my ds with Dr Arnold at Abrazo."
"Did you have a Loop/SADI?"
"A Sadi ..."​

Newp, not gonna bother with him. He's performing experimental surgery on people and not making sure they know the difference.

Latest posts

Back