Pep talk

Megange1

Hi-

So I got home from the hospital and felt great! Like I had no idea what my worry was for and that my recovery would be a breeze. I knew that was too good to be true, and now I'm feeling a case of the blues. My pain is not terrible, but I'm definitely aware of it all day and night. I'm not sleeping more than 2 hour stints because my incisions hurt. All day long I'm consumed with what to eat and drink. I know it's all normal, as I've done the sleeve part before, but I'm feeling super impatient for the pain to go away and my diet to be semi normal enough to return to "normal life." I know I'm just having buyers remorse of sorts, but I was wondering how long people took to start feeling normal? I'm on day 10.

I am one month out from surgery, and feeling about 99% myself. For me, it took about 2.5-3 weeks to feel somewhat normal. So you're almost there!

Have you tried a heating pad or ice pack for your pain? My hot sock was, and still is a lifesaver, though others like the ice better.

What really helped me regain my energy was eating my protein, instead of drinking it. I switched from trying to choke down one shake a day, to eating some yogurt and cottage cheese until I got to my 30 gram goal. Not sure what you eating habits are, but that is what turned it around for me.

Good luck! You'll get through it :3

I second what @Caitlunn said about eating your protein rather than drinking it. It makes a huge difference in your energy level and I believe that it helps us heal much faster than packaged proteins in a shake or drink. My surgery was 6/19 and other than being more easily worn out than pre-surgery and still adapting to new bowel changes, I feel back to normal. Hang in there. Recovery from this surgery is a one day at a time kind of thing and it is different for everyone.

The first month is hard...all consuming in what do I drink, etc.
Second month, typically, things really start improving.
Third month, typically, you are fine, energy has returned, your system has started to act reasonably normal, and you begin to forget the first month.

Sounds pretty typical to me. Hang in there, you really are going to feel better soon. And once you are fully recovered AND lose a bunch of weight, you'll REALLY feel better.

Hmmm. Took me about eight weeks to feel normal, but, it did get a little better every day. Please stay hydrated - that's the key to feeling as good as possible early out. :) All the best!

Latest posts

Back