PCP Will Not Run Future Labs

TakeIII

Hello,

Happy New Year!

I was just informed by my PCP that she will no longer order my labs as it is unnecessary to have them done so frequently. Her intention is to consult with a local gastric bypass surgeon to determine which tests are necessary and at what frequency they will be run. There isn't even a surgeon in Colorado that performs the DS so clearly any advice she may receive will not be applicable.

Can anyone suggest a surgeon that would be willing to consult with her that actually understands our needs and can provide an informed opinion?

Dr. Simper did my surgery a year ago. I would ask her to contact him, however I don't feel that his recommendation for labs is adequate either. Along with telling me that I only needed to take a multi vitamin and a Baratric Advantage ADEK, I was originally told by him I only needed a handful tests and not until I was a year out. Had I of followed this advice a significant number of my labs would already be in the toilet!!

As frequently suggested, I've had my labs run every three months for this first year, and intended to move to 2 times per year during my second year, then annually after that if no issues arise.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Last edited:
Ideas:

Get your labs done via @star0210 That's self pay, though. (She arranges for doctor orders.)

Get a new PCP. You will never get your current one on board with what needs to be done.

Go to bariatric group meetings in your area for the sole purpose of asking the participants which PCP they use and if that doc is proactive regarding labs.

Good luck.

Hello,

Happy New Year!

I was just informed by my PCP that she will no longer order my labs as it is unnecessary to have them done so frequently. Her intention is to consult with a local gastric bypass surgeon to determine which tests are necessary and at what frequency they will be run. There isn't even a surgeon in Colorado that performs the DS so clearly any advice she may receive will not be applicable.

Can anyone suggest a surgeon that would be willing to consult with her that actually understands our needs and can provide an informed opinion?

Dr. Simper did my surgery a year ago. I would ask her to contact him, however I don't feel that his recommendation for labs is adequate either. Along with telling me that I only needed to take a multi vitamin and a Baratric Advantage ADEK, I was originally told by him I only needed a handful tests and not until I was a year out. Had I of followed this advice a significant number of my labs would already be in the toilet!!

As frequently suggested, I've had my labs run every three months for this first year, and intended to move to 2 times per year during my second year, then annually after that if no issues arise.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

I have the same problem, so I'm doing the self-pay bit with @star0210. It's not cheap but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than paying full price for all of the labs we need!

Sounds like you need a new and improved pcp.

Unfortunately, I've found that the various providers I've contacted at the same clinic that insurance assigned me to feel the exact same way. They'll do annual labs, but not all of them, because "they aren't necessary" and "you need to go by how you feel." I'm changing insurance again on February 1st and going to someone I really hope will have a much better attitude but I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of my own thing and will be self-paying for labs.

@BebeZed I understand that not everyone has the same options. I hope the new clinic will have a pcp for you that is more open minded to learning about your surgery and ordering all the needed labs. It is unfortunate that many docs know so little about nutrition, but even worse that so many are not willing to make the effort to learn more when they have a patient that depends on that knowledge.

@BebeZed I understand that not everyone has the same options. I hope the new clinic will have a pcp for you that is more open minded to learning about your surgery and ordering all the needed labs. It is unfortunate that many docs know so little about nutrition, but even worse that so many are not willing to make the effort to learn more when they have a patient that depends on that knowledge.

Since this will be insurance that I actually pay for and not the freebie state crap, I've got a lot of different PCP choices. I will keep at it until I find the right one. It IS kind of ominous, however, that the HMO group, Group Health, is more commonly referred to as Group Death ;) I've had them several times before, however, and they seemed ok so here's hoping...

Has anyone asked if they are willing to take responsibility if you present medical research and show you should be followed better and the damage that can result if you are not followed appropriately? I mean these docs should be stripped of licenses.

I would think there would be legal ramifications if your MD has been given outlines for your proper health care and does not follow through. Diana?

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. I hate to think that I will have to find a new PCP. I have been going to the same practice for 20 years, but if they won't get onboard, they will leave me no choice.

@DianaCox, thank you very much for the links. I'm going to try and educate her with those.

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. I hate to think that I will have to find a new PCP. I have been going to the same practice for 20 years, but if they won't get onboard, they will leave me no choice.

@DianaCox, thank you very much for the links. I'm going to try and educate her with those.

Good luck - hope your PCP is much more receptive than mine. All mine did was glance at the papers in my hand, sigh, and say that the DS is *exactly* like gastric bypass. Ugh. I am counting the days until I can start looking for a much better PCP... Group Health has a ton of PCPs available in the area so hopefully at least ONE of them is willing to listen.

Latest posts

Back