Pay for the DS... Walk out with something else.

@Munchkin I took it as a congrats and support! Thanks
@Larra and @hilary1617 Thanks so much for any and all feed back. The bile reflux thing is starting to worry me less and less. I know and understand the whole less malabsorption portion of this decision....I put the procedure between RNY and DS for that. I know some of my going with the SADI is that I'm already started with my surgeon and thinking about switching is a little daunting - but it doesn't drive me to put myself at risk in any way. What I need is for someone (after I have it) to get wenchy like my boss is now about WLS (she doesn't know I'm doing this)....if there is one thing that will make this stubborn girl show YOU is if you tell me (snide like her) ...."you'll never maintain with that" cuz I will fight heaven and hell to prove anyone wrong that tells me I CAN'T do something. Seriously....it's like a thing with me! Never sewed a lick in my life and I mentioned wanting to make my son a levi quilt for graduation and she really snide says "there is NO way YOU can do that"......well by hell......I cut those levi's and went to town and finished that KING sized levi quilt in TWO WEEKS!!! Tell me I can't sew phhssss!!

Last edited:
@Munchkin I took it as a congrats and support! Thanks
@Larra and @hilary1617 Thanks so much for any and all feed back. The bile reflux thing is starting to worry me less and less. I know and understand the whole less malabsorption portion of this decision....I put the procedure between RNY and DS for that. I know some of my going with the SADI is that I'm already started with Cottam and thinking about switching is a little daunting - but it doesn't drive me to put myself at risk in any way. What I need is for someone (after I have it) to get wenchy like my boss is now about WLS (she doesn't know I'm doing this)....if there is one thing that will make this stubborn ass girl show YOU is if you tell me (snide like her) ...."you'll never maintain with that" cuz I will fight heaven and hell to prove anyone wrong that tells me I CAN'T do something. Seriously....it's like a thing with me! Never sewed a lick in my life and I mentioned wanting to make my son a levi quilt for graduation and she really snide says "there is NO way YOU can do that"......well by hell......I cut those levi's and went to town and finished that KING sized levi quilt in TWO WEEKS!!! Tell me I can't sew phhssss!!
K...so I have been wanting to make one of those forever and I finally got a machine with enough power. Please post a picture!

Yup, done that kind of quilt. They are very heavy and hard to work with. Very manly, though, and extremely durable. Just don't ever expect to launder it in your home machine. Plan on using the largest washer at the Laundromat when it needs cleaning. And if you do the "frayed" edge version of ANY quilt, you can ruin your machine with the lint and threads that come off it.

This was my youngest sons quilt I did. Can't find pic of my first but pretty similar. I've done about 10 now. Hope you can see it - it wanted a URL so I just copied from a FB post I had....

K......so I can't get it to download....if you wanted to PM me I'd email you a pic and tell you how I started.
That's because it's on FB...download it to your computer than upload it here.

@southernlady I did do that ...I'm fairly computer literate BUT this is only asking for a URL. Whenever I attach in other programs it will give me a "browse" option that I can go out to my files and choose the pic and attach??
Did you do UPLOAD a file or the Picture icon?

Image icon (the one next to the smilie) has to already be online (like in photobucket) and NOT on FB or another social media type site.
To just upload (which is the option at the bottom of the reply box and is between the Post Reply in "orange" and the "More Options" in gray, it is from your computer.

If you upload, you have the option of a thumbnail or the full photo.

Ok.......let's see if this works. Thanks I was tring to hit the image icon along the top bar....didn't even notice the "Upload File" below! This is my youngest sons quilt....can't find my oldest but it's very similar!

Attachments

• 10371563_809751255716708_705276270887533329_n.jpg
    10371563_809751255716708_705276270887533329_n.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
#3 If I have just the sleeve (and maybe I need to get on the forum threads for Sleeve only patients) what are my chances of loosing 200#'s and maintaining that loss? I would like to hope that if it aided me in GETTING there that I would find my motivation to maintain as I could then go out and live life a little easier. The main reason I over eat now (I believe) is that I can not do any of the activites that I love (horses etc).

Hoping everyone is still active on this thread....I haven't figured out how to "tag" someone specifically. :geek:

As someone who had the sleeve in March 2010 and believed it would be all I would ever need...I would venture to say the answer to your question is no. I was 293 at my HW, 273 SW, and about 160 at my lowest in the fall of 2012. Today I'm at 200. I do still have some restriction but not nearly as much as I used to....which is normal. It will relax or stretch out some over time.
I can't do vigorous exercise because of my back issues and I'm trying to avoid fusion surgery at all cost for now.
The VSG was easy...losing the weight was easy...keeping it off...not so much. I got sick (not WLS related) and I got lazy. I stopped being diligent in getting in enough protein, I stopped getting in enough fluids, and I got very careless about eating carbs.
If I had gotten to goal and this 40 lbs regain was my bounce back, I think I could have gone back to basics and probably taken some of that back off. But with 80 lbs to lose, I know that's not going to happen...especially not being able to do any significant amount of exercise.
I see more and more people who were like me and hoped VSG would do the trick forever, but who are now seeking revisions.
What I can't understand are the people who want to revise from VSG to RNY. That makes no sense to me....that was something I never considered. its just got bad "ju-ju" written all over it.
The SADI-S does look promising though.

NO. The DS was first done in 1988. Those of us who had surgery in the late 90s - early 00s were looking at numerous data and publications, including from respected US surgeons, for 10-15 years of results.

Long term results - that's what I'm not seeing. And the required diet - I see very little discussion about the fact that there is a lot less fat malabsorption with the SADI, and a lot more carb absorption, compared to the DS.

It's complex carbs that are somewhat malabsorbed with the DS right...simple carbs are completely absorbed...is that correct?

The short answer is that the odds are against you maintaining an adequate weight loss with the VSG. That's the big important piece. You might lose most of your 200 pounds, but keeping it off might be pretty challenging.

I was in your shoes. I had the DS, and that's what I recommend, assuming you're willing and able to learn what you need to learn to live well with it.

@star0210 , why would you consider the SADI instead of the DS, if your sleeve has already failed you? I ask this with sincerity and concern. The SADI, as Diana Cox has already said, does not have the malabsorption you and I both need. I'm a lightweight, started out at 250-ish, and am doing well with the DS. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has saved my life. I fail to see the reasoning behind anyone choosing the SADI over the DS.

Ok.......let's see if this works. Thanks I was tring to hit the image icon along the top bar....didn't even notice the "Upload File" below! This is my youngest sons quilt....can't find my oldest but it's very similar!
Love the quilt! You haven't dissuaded me from trying it! Have always wanted one.

Latest posts

Back