Passover Seder

DianaCox

Bad Cop
We are doing ours tomorrow, for 14 people plus a 2 year old (and including his very pregnant mom, whose due date is Sunday, so it is possible the toddler, mom and dad MIGHT not make it to dinner tomorrow night). That is the max I can seat in my dining room plus six people at the kitchen island, and I'm pleased to make the fullest use of my entertaining space.

We do a relatively low key Seder, with my father (who will be 84 next week) leading it. We are going to do some participatory readings - including a reading from The Notorious RBG: http://tabletmag.com/scroll/189756/ruth-bader-ginsburgs-feminist-passover-message. I'm going to try to Chrome-cast some music at appropriate times, including this wonderful version of the Dayenu (which I always thought was a song everyone was singing to ME when I was little):

In truth, although we make a half-assed effort to touch on the highlights of the rituals of the Seder, it is mostly about the food.

I'm pretty much ready, food-wise, for tomorrow - sitting in bed right now, resting my back and having some wine to relax. Tomorrow, I have to put the pot roast up, and get the table and all the accoutrements set up by dinnertime, and we have to clean the house (usually, we can get the couple who cleans our house to come just ahead of our dinner parties, but they are on vacation, so - HORRORS! - we will have to clean the house ourselves!). (For my Jewish friends - I mean a normal cleaning - I do NOT do the whole cleanse the house of hametz with a feather, and we're not eating on special Passover dishes.)

Passover meals are (for me) a mix of stuff I can buy premade, stuff I prepare, and stuff other people bring. Since my daughter is currently unemployed and living at home, she has been helping me - it is a LOT of work, with lots of moving parts.

For the ceremonial part of the meal, I have:
  • Store-bought matzoh
  • Costco shelled hardboiled eggs (plus one real egg I will scorch tomorrow that goes on the Seder plate)
  • A lamb chop bone (saved a previous meal)
  • Charoset - chopped apples (two kinds), lemon juice, chopped walnuts, yellow raisins, concord grape wine, honey, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
  • Store-bought horseradish, both white and red (less spicy, cut with beets)
  • Baby endive leaves
  • Parsley
  • Maneschewitz gross sweet concord grape wine
For the dinner:
  • Homemade chicken soup (8 lbs of chicken legs, celery, fennel frond, salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, dill, salt and white pepper) - simmered for hours, onion, fennel and dill in an herb basket. All the meat and bones removed (and the meat painstakingly cleaned by me for my daughter's dog and cats - mine wouldn't touch it), and the soup strained and chilled (I decided to NOT remove the fat after all - there wasn't a horrible amount and so much of the flavor is in that part!)
  • Dad is making the matzoh balls - he has a special touch for it. But when I found out he wasn't making enough for lots of extras, my daughter and I decided to try our hand at making another batch ourselves - I made a CANOE-FUL of soup!
  • Someone else is bringing the sliced raw onion and red bell pepper, which tastes wonderful as a garnish with the matzoh ball soup.
  • I made chopped liver - sauteed about 2 lbs of calves liver on two different kinds of onions in chicken fat and olive oil, coarsely ground the liver and onions, plus two more raw onions, and then added 13 chopped hard boiled eggs and seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. (I'm a little disappointed - the liver looked very high quality, but it ended up being gristly. I'll probably end up eating most of it myself.
  • Store-bought gefilte fish - two flavors
  • My daughter went over to the pregnant girl's house today and they made veggie foods (one guest is annoyingly veggie) - which are going to be delish: a tabouli salad (bulgar, mint, parsley, tomatoes and seasonings) and a kugel (egg noodles, cottage cheese, sour cream or cream cheese, milk, sugar, spices and I think they used raisins).
  • The fixings for a lavish pot roast, to be slow-roasted during the day tomorrow:
    • 5-6 lbs. of lovely meat from Costco, which is presently marinating in red wine, apple cider vinegar, beef broth, olive oil, fresh rosemary and thyme from my garden, garlic, dried onion, pepper and salt.
    • The veggies to go with: multicolored carrots, parsnips, a few small turnips and golden beets, two colors of fingerling potatoes, asparagus and romanesco, as well as a bed of fennel and onion the meat will sit upon when roasting.
    • 4 lbs of marrow bones.
Desserts - all store bought:
  • Three kinds of macaroons
  • Flourless cake
  • Non-pareils
  • streits-pareils-chocolate-176626.jpg

• Those awful, delicious citrus jelly slices
  • jelly%20slices.jpg

And now, I'm ready to get this holiday underway - and out of the way - we'd like to go camping again on Sunday!

I like my charoset, if I do say so myself. I always make a boatload of it, and my kids like to eat it straight for dessert. And I've baked with it - I might make a charoset kugel next week.

Um you are more than welcome to PM me with results on that kugel. :) Or post here I don't care, I'm easy on that.

I'm also wondering if we can get some phyllo dough and spread the extra charoset (if there is any) on it and then roll it like a jelly roll, then slice into pinwheels and bake like cookies?

Phyllo dough tends to shred. I love the thought. What about the phyllo dough that is already in the shape of the muffin tin? Or wait ... can you eat phyllo dough? Is it leavened?

I only avoid chametz for the Seder itself. I'm not religious :)

In fact, for our Hanukkah dinner we have my latkes with pork tenderloin (because both go very well with applesauce).

Can you eat the fried foods? The last few I've tried make me ill. I'm drinking enough medicine as it is.

Other than breaded fried onion rings, I do fine with fried foods - but I'm not that fond of fried foods in general.

I remember that great Seinfeld show where Jerry's dentist had converted to Judaism and Jerry was convinced he did it "to get all the good jokes". Very funny episode...but after seeing this feast laid out I could almost do it for the food! Looks like it's gonna be quite the shin dig!!
:rave:

Sounds wonderful! I would try the phyllo thing and make it like baklava. Just make sure you butter between all the layers and both the bottom and top need to be about 5 layers thick. When it comes out of the oven, cut it and glaze with a reduced liquid(holds it together), maybe honey and apple juice. I think I would use the cloves in each piece. Sounds amazing to me!

Wow Diana, that sounds like a really great Holiday celebration. I hope you and your Family have a really special time together and enjoy each other and the great food! I know its a lot of work too, very nice!

I remember that great Seinfeld show where Jerry's dentist had converted to Judaism and Jerry was convinced he did it "to get all the good jokes". Very funny episode...but after seeing this feast laid out I could almost do it for the food! Looks like it's gonna be quite the shin dig!!
:rave:

That is really cool Will....pppplllleeease tell me how to add that stuff to a thread? I tried the dancing bacon .gif before and that didnt work either?

That is really cool Will....pppplllleeease tell me how to add that stuff to a thread? I tried the dancing bacon .gif before and that didnt work either?
@robs477 across the top of the reply box is the letters B, I, U then it goes to symbols...find the Smilie one. (it's the 14th one from the left). Click it and you will have a menu appear at the bottom of the reply box. There are tabs under there labeled "Original Popular Welcome Angry, etc. Click on a tab and give it a min to load...then just click on the gif you want. BTW, the one you quoted is under Birthday. The dancing bacon gif is under Popular.

:thhippy:

10628539_10152827894487887_7461975052541345956_n.jpg

A lot of work, but it worked out well. And I didn't do much of the cleanup - which is still ongoing. Three loads of dishes at least.

And lots of leftovers, including a vat of matzoh ball soup.

Latest posts

Back