Out of lurk mode

MsVee

A brief history for those unfamiliar with my journey, my high weight was 440 lbs. I had a RNY 07/11/05 at 407 lbs. I lost to 238lbs. Regained to 350 lbs.

Revision surgery with Dr Keshishian 03/08/2012. I had a lot of complications ended up with feeding tube for a couple of months. Returned to work weight loss was incredibly slow but my overall health improved tremendously.

I bounced back from my post surgical complications but never really achieved optimal weight loss. Low weight post DS 275 lbs.

Currently struggling with a 10 to 12 lb. regain. I know some people experience regain but it is particularly tough when you do not even approach your goal weight. I am now post-menopause. My primary doctor said it is not uncommon to experience moderate weight gain with menopause.

I borrowed against my retirement to fund the trip to California to see Dr Keshishian. I am trying to decide whether or not to retire.

I am now at the age I can retire (age 55 with over 30 years of service) but if I have to incur any financial costs to pursue revision of the DS (travel back to California, out of network costs, hotel, elder care etc.. )I may need to stay on payroll.

I see so many of you doing so well and I want that success for myself. I am currently seeing a bariatric surgeon here in NY who is ordering all the tests to see if something is surgically wrong like a problem with sleeve things of that nature.

If he finds anything I will then have to make the decision to have him attempt to address it or return to California for Dr K.

Obviously I can't make any decisions until I have my test results but I can theoretically retire in less than 8 weeks. My job is becoming a toxic environment but I would stay if it would allow me to address my weight issue.

Sorry for the long rambling post but this is my dilemma. Again I know I need results from the tests before I can make any decisions. I guess I am just thinking aloud.

MsVee

Welcome! Oh, the journey you have had! Good plan to connect with a nearby surgeon and to look into physical problems with the surgery. I hear you about menopause, quick weight gain at age 50 was one of the last straws that led me to DS.

My retirement was involuntary when the company went out of business, but I would have worked a while longer for the benefits mostly. At our age, health insurance tends to be much better with employment than on the marketplace. What will happen if the Repubs restrict coverage on preexisting conditions? Cobra will only get you so far, but if you are lucky enough to have lifetime health insurance, that takes this out of consideration. As you recognize, unexpected expenses are a killer after retirement and eat up the fixed income very quickly.

Glad you came in out of the dark!

Glad you came out of lurk mode.
Typically we see people seeing Dr. K for help...another option is to confer with Dr. Rabkin.

Welcome @MsVee. Best wishes on your decision -- you have a lot to think over. I completely understand about the RNY to DS revisions (I was in the hosp for a month post surgery) and the costs involved in traveling to CA to see Dr. K (I just returned from a trip there). However, it might be worth the money to make the trip since he did your original surgery and will be able to help address your concerns.

I do think Dr K is my best option. I just don't want to defer retirement unless I know I will get results. I also remember Ginger doing well after Dr Rabkin did a revision for her. I think it took her 3 attempts before she finally got the results she hoped for.

MsVee

I do think Dr K is my best option. I just don't want to defer retirement unless I know I will get results. I also remember Ginger doing well after Dr Rabkin did a revision for her. I think it took her 3 attempts before she finally got the results she hoped for.

MsVee

So I think I misunderstood something. you had a rny then had a DS by Dr. K or you want a DS by Dr. K. either way he's a great choice.Good luck

I already had the revision RNY to DS with Dr K on 03/08/12. I live in NY. Unfortunately my DS is not functioning like it should.

MsVee

I already had the revision RNY to DS with Dr K on 03/08/12. I live in NY. Unfortunately my DS is not functioning like it should.

oh ok. well I have total belief Dr. K can and will figure it out for you. I'm supposed to retire 8/28/18 but won't if I'm not done with all my reconstructive surgeries.

MsVee

Latest posts

Back