Other than weight loss, what is one of your goals?

LindaDarnell

We all have goals of things we want to do or accomplish once we've lost the weight. I saw a post of a lady who is 6 weeks RNY post-op, and she is excited bc she can sit criss-cross applesauce (indian style). It reminded me of a goal Ive had every since I had my VSG 5 years ago....and I intend to get there now that Ive had the DS. To cross my legs while sitting..right over left! Yep!!! I havent been able to do that fully since sophomore year of college.

So whats yalls goal? Or your favorite milestone you conquered if you've already made your weightloss gosl. To be able to fly without an extender (I loved when I first hit that milestone)? To sit in a certain type pf chair youve avoided?

Let's share!

I have several. I've never really had a defined waist, and when I lost 50 pounds, I noticed that I had a little defined waist that dips inwards. I also couldn't wait to feel bones in my body. They've always been padded by fat Lol. I guess I should have been careful about what I asked for because my tailbone has no fat on it and it is so uncomfortable to sit or lay down in ways that puts pressure in that area. I can feel the bones on the back of my neck that goes down my spine. I find myself watching TV or at work feeling the lower back part of my neck and my collarbones, and when I'm home I'm feeling my ribs quite often. I know it seems a little nuts Lol. I also couldn't wait to wear cute leggings (I'm obsessed) and nice designer fitted jeans.

I have several. I've never really had a defined waist, and when I lost 50 pounds, I noticed that I had a little defined waist that dips inwards. I also couldn't wait to feel bones in my body. They've always been padded by fat Lol. I guess I should have been careful about what I asked for because my tailbone has no fat on it and it is so uncomfortable to sit or lay down in ways that puts pressure in that area. I can feel the bones on the back of my neck that goes down my spine. I find myself watching TV or at work feeling the lower back part of my neck and my collarbones, and when I'm home I'm feeling my ribs quite often. I know it seems a little nuts Lol. I also couldn't wait to wear cute leggings (I'm obsessed) and nice designer fitted jeans.
I LOVE these "goals"!!!!! My hubby had a virgin DS and dropped 90lbs in 5 months, and he's always commenting and complaining about no cushion left lmao!! Im not so lucky, yet! But I do understand u wanting to feel "bony" in certain places. I like seeing how my fingers have thinned out and look longer and a little bony.

I used to be into roller coasters when I was younger, and now my son is getting to the age when he is interested and tall enough for most of the rides. We all went last year but I found I was unable to fit into many of the rides, especially the ones that I most wanted to ride. We are tentatively planning a trip for next summer or fall, and I'm looking forward to being able to fit into and ride anything I want to!

Another goal is to get back into hiking. I used to spend a lot of time hiking in my 20's. I can walk or hike now but it feels like so much WORK and not the fun easy miles of walking that didn't feel like "exercising." I was fat then but not so nearly so, so I think a big part of it is that it is really hard to move a very large body. I hope that I can rediscover that kind of exercise that is actually fun again.

It reminded me of a goal Ive had every since I had my VSG 5 years ago....and I intend to get there now that Ive had the DS. To cross my legs while sitting..right over left! Yep!!! I havent been able to do that fully since sophomore year of college.
I love being able to do that BUT it also aggravates varicose veins if you are prone to them.

I want to walk into any store and know that it has clothes that will fit me. I've spent my life shopping for clothes that fit over clothes that look good. I. Can't. Wait.

Another big one is that I look forward to seeing a doctor and not having my complaint ignored. "You have headaches because you are overweight. Loose weight." "Sore throat? No, you don't have strep throat despite your entire family having been diagnosed. You are fat. Loose weight."

I have soooooo many. I can't wait!

My happiest moments after losing weight were putting on my wedding ring and other rings. While obese, I had a cheap band I wore just because that finger "just didn't feel right" without a ring on it. I have a favorite ring for my right hand that my aunt made when she was a WAVE in WWII. Being able to wear both of them is definitely one of my satisfactions.

Last edited:
I want to walk into any store and know that it has clothes that will fit me. I've spent my life shopping for clothes that fit over clothes that look good. I. Can't. Wait.

Another big one is that I look forward to seeing a doctor and not having my complaint ignored. "You have headaches because you are overweight. Loose weight." "Sore throat? No, you don't have strep throat despite your entire family having been diagnosed. You are fat. Loose weight."

I have soooooo many. I can't wait!
Yess I cosign on both of those!! Im not there with clothes...but it feels so good to buy shoes off the rack instead of ordering offline.

And the doctor thing I so agree!! EVERYTHING is attributed to weight. However, be warned, I learned from my VSG that family docs tend to blame the surgery for things they can figure out. I can only imagine how bad it will be now that Ive had DS. "So doc, I lost that weight u said was causing my hang nail, but it's still there.....what? U now think it's a side effect of wls?? HOWWWW"
LMAO

I used to be into roller coasters when I was younger, and now my son is getting to the age when he is interested and tall enough for most of the rides. We all went last year but I found I was unable to fit into many of the rides, especially the ones that I most wanted to ride. We are tentatively planning a trip for next summer or fall, and I'm looking forward to being able to fit into and ride anything I want to!

Another goal is to get back into hiking. I used to spend a lot of time hiking in my 20's. I can walk or hike now but it feels like so much WORK and not the fun easy miles of walking that didn't feel like "exercising." I was fat then but not so nearly so, so I think a big part of it is that it is really hard to move a very large body. I hope that I can rediscover that kind of exercise that is actually fun again.
I am claiming for you that roller coaster ride!!!! U will do it!

My happiest moments after losing weight were putting on my wedding ring and other rings. While obese, I had a cheap band I wore just because that finger "just didn't feel right" without a ring on it. I have a favorite ring for my right hand that my aunt made when she was a WAVE in WWII. Being able to wear both of them is definitely one of my satisfactions.
Thats a great one!!!!! Especially being able to wear an heirloom.

My wedding set is getting too big , and spins on my finger. I probably need to have the rings sized so that I dont loose or damage a stone, but I honestly like looking down and seeing how big they are!!

Reading through these responses reminds me of how much little things matter! Yes, we all had WLS to improve our health and, of course, lose weight. But the little inconspicuous milestones are often the victories we need to stick with it!

My wedding set is getting too big , and spins on my finger. I probably need to have the rings sized so that I dont loose or damage a stone, but I honestly like looking down and seeing how big they are!!
Don't resize them too soon. The more times you do that, the more likely they are to break. If necessary, hang them on a necklace for now.

I have two other rings that were too big after weight loss. I took them to a jeweler to have then resized. Because of their construction, he didn't think it would be practical or even possible. He attached spacers. I'm happy with the results.

The husband is going through this now. We didnt realize he needed to wait..so 2 months after his surgery, he was down from a 13 to a 10..we had it resized. 2 more months later, he's down to a 9 but the jeweler has said not to resize it again. So he's waiting it out until his weight stabilizes, and he'll get another one. Im pretty sure I'll never have a problem that extensive...his weightloss has been so dramatic!!!

Latest posts

Back