Other RYN to DS surgeons?

DawnNYC

I had an appointment this week with Dr. Roslin and he was great. He is willing to do the SIPS procedure.

I've been calling around NYC to see if there are other options. I had the office staff double check with the surgeon that they do the RYN to DS.

Have you had, or know anyone, who has had a revision with any of these doctors:

• Dr. Bessler from Columbia Hosptial
  • Dr. Dankin at NY Pres/Weill Cornell
  • Dr. Kuran
  • And several from NYU
Any help would be appreciated!

There are very few surgeons who do RNY to DS revisions. I don't know of anyone else in the NY area doing them. Dr. Greenbaum in NJ does them on a selective basis, depending on how your RNY was done. It's possible that Dr. Bonanni in PA may have started doing them.
It's a shame, IMHO, that Dr. Roslin has moved away from the standard of care DS with 2 anastomoses and is promoting SIPS (his name for what others call loop DS or SADI or probably a couple other names). SIPS is not a standard of care operation and long term results are not yet well known. That may change at some point, but that's the present reality. I would recommend that you find the extensive discussions on this topic already on this website and read them carefully before you make your decision as to what operation to have now. I don't know all your reasons for seeking revision, but clearly you've already had one major bariatric surgery with unsatisfactory results. If, after becoming as well informed as possible, you still want SIPS, that's your decision. However, if you realize that the real, standard of care DS - the operation with the best documented long term results of any bariatric surgery - is right for you, I hope you could discuss this with Dr. Roslin and that he would be willing to do this for you. No question about his skill and ability to do it, just a question of what he is or isn't willing to do.

Thanks @Larra and @DianaCox!

I've spent a good amount of time understanding the SIPS vs DS. That's why I'm looking for other docs who do the RYN to DS.

According to their offices, Dr. Bessler, Dr. Dankin and Dr. Inabnet and NYU will do the RYN to DS revision. I'm just wondering if anyone has used one of them?

Thanks for your help!
Dawn

Hi and welcome @DawnNYC !

Picking a surgeon can be daunting. Recently, along a similar vein, my husband and I had to select a neurosurgeon who will perform a pituitary surgery for our 14 year old son. There are big risks. Our endocrinologist gave us very sage advice that we should consider those who had performed that very procedure at least 100 times. He told us there is no substitute for specific experience - that even a NASCAR driver will have a few wobbles the first time s/he pilots an aircraft or steers a boat.

Following on that logic, which helped us, if you haven't done so already, may I suggest confirming with each of Drs. Bessler, Dankin and Inabet's offices exactly how many times they have performed an RNY to DS revisions and the success and complications rates thereof. Maybe the numbers will give you confidence and/or a clear choice from the three. If not, you're probably safest compromising with a revision to SADI/SIPS/LoopDS by Dr. Roslin, or better yet, travelling to see Dr. Keshishian or Dr. Rabkin.

Not wanting to be a grammar nazi or similar, but most surgeons who do RNY to DS revisions are going to need to be CONVINCED that you have done your research and know EVERYTHING about the procedure, risks, nutritional requirements and such the first time they speak to you. They want to know you are very familiar and knowledgeable, and are not just trying to take "the easy way out" off your of current situation. But you keep calling your current procedure RYN - it is RNY, short for Roux-en-Y, which is the name of the connection between your intestinal segments (in fact, the DS has an RNY anastomosis as well, but much differently situated). Make sure you get that straight, because not knowing that very basic fact may give your surgeon a basis for concern.

Latest posts

Back