Open Revision from RNY to DS?

Jen2016

Hi everyone! I just talked to someone in Dr Keshishian's office and it all sounded great! I'm willing to go from Virginia to California because of all the great things I've read about him. But he only does Open Revisions.

I thought laparoscopic surgeries are much better for healing, etc?

I believe Dr Elariny (my RNY surgeon) does them laparoscopically.

Any thoughts? Did you have an open revision and how was it?

Thank you!!

I had a revision with Dr K, but to lengthen my Alimentary limb and he fixed a hernia. It was hand assisted lap which is half lap and a small incision open. Recovery was fine.

I know numerous people here had open surgery and some have said they recovered better from open surgery compared to Lap in the past.

If you are having an RnY to DS Revision the most important thing is the quality of the surgeon and Dr K is the best. Open vs Lap is really inconsequential in the end, but the surgeon getting the procedure completely correct is really important.

For a revision, I would prefer the surgeon do them open. He can see what is going on without looking thru a little camera and may see issues that aren't visible if done lap.

For a virgin surgery, lap is fine and for a two step (VSG to DS) it's also fine but any other revision, I would go open.

Mine started lap, but went open when my common channel twisted. The doctor wanted to get in there and make sure the mesentary defect which caused it was corrected so he made a 10cm incision so he could get his hand in there. Haven't had any problems.

Hi, I had an open revision with Dr K (RNY to DS) 12/12 so over 3 years ago. My RNY was laparoscopic. I was terrified... Such a waste of time. It was no big deal. I did not feel a thing the site was numb and healed nicely.

Latest posts

Back