Okay. I need ideas.

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
I'm having trouble sticking to liquids because of feeling hungry for something more substantial to be in my tummy. I need some ideas for liquids/semi-lequids like yogurt.
I will go shopping tomorrow when my father swings by for a visit.
I tried some portobello mushroom bisque, and it's good, but it has pieces of mushroom that are hard to eat around. I know cream soups are pretty high in carbs, but maybe I can just stick to small servings? Should I try tomato soup with a little melted cheese or would it be too acidic?

Some swear by popsicles but it's cold here and I'm just not feeling ice things at the moment. I have SF jello, SF pudding, crystal light, g2, and the mushroom bisque. I had some egg drop soup and that was okay but still a little boring.

I thought I wouldn't even want to look at food for months, but it's just not the case. I want to eat, and I'm hungry, and I just want to eat. I'm having a hard time. Help!!

I think I am counting my blessings that I didn't have much appetite or interest in food either surgery, it was definitely a chore. But my taste buds were out of whack and I definitely alternated between sweet and savory. I know you're on liquids only right now or purees too? I knew what others said about tomato soup, but I didn't have any trouble with it. For the longest time it was the only soup I could stand (all the others came back later) I pureed tofu into mine for some protein, it was tasteless, made it creamy, and added parmesean cheese. I really liked it and egg drop soup was next. If you can tolerate them, order soups from any ethnic food place you like, just eat the broth - thai, chinese, mexican tortilla soupI also switched up my protein shakes by using flavored Coffeemate, or sugar free jello/pudding mix. Orange sf jello mix in vanilla protein shakes was like a dreamsicle. I did rely on sf popsicles and fudgicles, but I'm from Chicago, love ice cream any time of year. I fixated on getting in 48 oz of water/fluid and 30g or more of protein.

Here's the thing - this sucks, it is boring, but, it's a time we also have to suck it up. Nothing boring about what was just done to your insides which need to be treated like a baby to heal. You have to unlock your head from deprivation mode and 'never' and remember, it's not never, its just not 'right now'. A whole world of pretty fabulous food is in your future, you'll get there. Right now, look at this time as healing yourself, getting a nice reset with new plumbing that doesn't know your old bad habits. The prize is pretty worth the aggravation.

I did eat tomato soup but I didn't add cheese. Greek yogurt is filling ( without lumps). When I got hungry early out I did eat soft scrambled egg with butter. I didn't add cheese. I think I hate puréed potato and puréed ( in a blender) Chinese takeout in my second week out.

full liquids. They were giving me protein shakes in the hospital and SF jello, etc. I wasn't interested in jello at the time, of course. They said I could have SF pudding, so I assume that means all similar things are fair game.
I've never actually had butternut squash... I should, though. I will look for some sort of butternut squash soup. I have never had tapioca pudding or cream of wheat either, but wouldn't those be higher in carbs?
I'm not sure if I should have soft scrambled eggs yet. I'm afraid EN will show up and rip my tongue out through my asshole! (lmao, just kidding)

Cat, right now you aren't getting in enough of anything to worry about too many carbs...that comes when you get to pureed foods. Watch the milk based soups/puddings, etc...libel to cause gas/bloat.

Sounds easy... I'll just have to see if I can find one. That may be the challenge. The normal harvest time is past us, so I don't know if I can find it. I will check Kroger as they tend to have the best produce selection around here. I will probably turn it into a bisque or something to make it a tad bit thinner. Maybe add some cream and mild spices. I'll look into it, thanks!

you can try adding heavy cream, sour cream, Greek yogurt (unflavoured) or parmesan cheese to any of your soups to add richness and flavour

if egg drop soud was boring, make it stronger with more broth/boullion, or add soya sauce

try spices or onion/garlic powder for a kick to broths

a favourite of mine early on was overcooked scalloped potatoes with lots of milk, then I would run the stick blender through it - sort of like a potato/leek soup. You could add a small scoop of unflavoured protein powder to it as it has very little protein on its own. It was more to have that warm, comfy feeling in my tummy

don't know where you are, exactly, but its pretty much a year 'round veggie. Adding cream sounds good -- I add cream and sour cream to make it a soup sometimes.
I'm in TN. I just haven't really looked for it before, so I can't remember if I've seen it or not. If it's that common, they'll probably have it.

you can try adding heavy cream, sour cream, Greek yogurt (unflavoured) or parmesan cheese to any of your soups to add richness and flavour

if egg drop soud was boring, make it stronger with more broth/boullion, or add soya sauce

try spices or onion/garlic powder for a kick to broths

a favourite of mine early on was overcooked scalloped potatoes with lots of milk, then I would run the stick blender through it - sort of like a potato/leek soup. You could add a small scoop of unflavoured protein powder to it as it has very little protein on its own. It was more to have that warm, comfy feeling in my tummy
I've been trying to avoid carbs, but should I just kind of not worry as much until after I'm on a regular food diet, and just get through the healing process? I mean, obviously no sweets or anything like that, but small amounts of potatoes could be okay?

I've been trying to avoid carbs, but should I just kind of not worry as much until after I'm on a regular food diet, and just get through the healing process? I mean, obviously no sweets or anything like that, but small amounts of potatoes could be okay?

absolutely OK. You are just healing and trying to get through this first phase. For goodness sake, you are only a week out!

You need some nutrition, but mostly hydration. As you are able to introduce solid foods and meats, you can cut back your carbs. And at this point, you are eating so little, that the carbs simply cannot be that high.

But I do caution, that once you are able to eat meats and solid foods, you do monitor your carbs more closely. If you were to ask this question a month from now, my answer would be very different

absolutely OK. You are just healing and trying to get through this first phase. For goodness sake, you are only a week out!

You need some nutrition, but mostly hydration. As you are able to introduce solid foods and meats, you can cut back your carbs. And at this point, you are eating so little, that the carbs simply cannot be that high.

But I do caution, that once you are able to eat meats and solid foods, you do monitor your carbs more closely. If you were to ask this question a month from now, my answer would be very different
I understand. I've been drinking g2, but it does have 7g of sugar. The hospital advised me to do so because my blood glucose level dropped to 50 while drinking water. Now that I'm eating soups with carbs, I'm going to switch back to crystal light.

I understand. I've been drinking g2, but it does have 7g of sugar. The hospital advised me to do so because my blood glucose level dropped to 50 while drinking water. Now that I'm eating soups with carbs, I'm going to switch back to crystal light.

yes - better to have your carbs in the form of dairy or vegetables than to have them as sugar. Sugar is evil. Repeat that to yourself

I lived in G2 and Crystal light at first. The G2 never gave me trouble, and I couldn't drink plain water at all. I wouldn't be too worried about G2 unless it bothers you.

I lived in G2 and Crystal light at first. The G2 never gave me trouble, and I couldn't drink plain water at all. I wouldn't be too worried about G2 unless it bothers you.
Nope, so far nothing has bothered me at all. But I don't mind switching over to the crystal light. I may finish up the g2 I have but that's about it. I just don't want to overdo my carbs.

full liquids. They were giving me protein shakes in the hospital and SF jello, etc. I wasn't interested in jello at the time, of course. They said I could have SF pudding, so I assume that means all similar things are fair game.
I've never actually had butternut squash... I should, though. I will look for some sort of butternut squash soup. I have never had tapioca pudding or cream of wheat either, but wouldn't those be higher in carbs?
I'm not sure if I should have soft scrambled eggs yet. I'm afraid EN will show up and rip my tongue out through my asshole! (lmao, just kidding)
If you tolerate the squash soup, try that. There's a nice smooth red pepper soup, too. Don't worry about the carbs in the tapioca pudding UNLESS you try it and your guts go nuts. Or run some other soups of choice (I used chunky sirloin burger) through the blender.

Full liquids means smooth texture and pourable in SOME state. For example, something frozen of ice cream consistency (which is a TERRIBLE idea, see belly issues) would be a full liquid.

If you are fond of refried beans, you could thin some with water or broth and make a smooth bean soup. Or just get bean soup and run it a blender if it's chunky.

Latest posts

Back