NSAIDs Elimination Pre-Surgery?

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
My Dr. stopped me from taking my naproxen. I have scoliosis, sciatica, degenerative disk disease which is arthritic and in the last 5 days or so, the pain is about a good solid 7. I need to ask you guys?? I am attributing this to having to step my NSAIDs, naproxen. I only ever took one every other day or so for the last several yrs because I didn’t want to build up a tolerance to it, but, I had NO idea how well it was working until I was forced to stop it..pre-surgery. How long post-surgery will I have to stay off it? Thxs again, Rob

One of the great things about the DS and the sleeve is that we can take NSAIDs safely once we get past the immediate post-op period. With gastric bypass they are contraindicated for the rest of your life. With NSAIDs being one of the most commonly prescribed classes of drugs, if not THE most common, that's a big deal. Since NSAIDs act as blood thinners, you do need to be off them for the surgery. Your surgeon should let you now when you can start taking them again.
And anyone, including people who have never had any kind of surgery, should only take them in proper doses, as you clearly do. One of the most common causes of upper GI bleeding in the general population in this country is NSAIDs.

Rob, I had to stop my celebrex for 2 weeks before and wasn't able to restart til 1 month after. That is for two reasons. NSAIDS increase the chance of bleeding and for the month after, my surgeon wanted my sleeve to heal first. Then he gave me the okay on a very LOW dose. Pre-op my dose was the maximum allowed for celebrex, post op I took 50 mgs...just enough to take the edge off.

Now, I just take Ibuprofen, one 200 mg pill a day at bedtime. WITH FOOD

Yeah, I guess I know all the reasons why to be off them for a while, but what I really was surprised to see is just how much arthritic back and leg pain I really do have without those damn things. Point being, you don’t really know how good something is working until you stop it!! But, drugs of mass quantities are a coming reeeaalll soooon!!! like 14-15 hrs left!!

Yeah, I guess I know all the reasons why to be off them for a while, but what I really was surprised to see is just how much arthritic back and leg pain I really do have without those damn things. Point being, you don’t really know how good something is working until you stop it!! But, drugs of mass quantities are a coming reeeaalll soooon!!! like 14-15 hrs left!!
I was very surprised as well. I thought, this will be no big deal but those weeks were MISERABLE in spite of narcotics.

Latest posts

Back