NON-Surgeon Reviews

@jjordan8130 : I'm glad you came on to talk about Dr. Houston. After our phone call, I was so disappointed to hear his shift to two part DS surgeries. I didn't want to post anything here, since I haven't really talked to him. I can understand his actions, yet if he really wants his DS patients to succeed, he needs to get the staff there educated and a little more open minded. My last encounter with them left me a little peeved. Keep in touch as it gets closer to your surgery. And if you want help kicking his butt, I'm in your corner.

Me too. Part of me regrets calling him out by name, but I really want others to benefit from my experience. I "met" one of his patients the other day. Her mother had DS with Spaw and she was convinced by HH to have sleeve. Her BMI was higher than mine. Her weight loss has already slowed and she's battling to lose. It's just sad. I don't think she had the knowledge and aggressiveness to get what she really wanted. It's sad. Really sad. As we discussed he'd rather DS a non compliant sleeve. His reasoning doesn't make sense. Especially given the nature of DS and the level of compliance required. I guess that's a discussion for later. Either way I just wanted to help others. I'm SOOOOO glad to have you in my corner!!!!! I may need you!!!!! I have my upper GI on Tuesday and the following Tuesday is my "preop nutrition" if you want to call it that. I've decided to set my own preop plan and I have my first 6 weeks of intake planned. I'm going in hydrated, beefed up on protein, and plenty of K on board. I really do feel great about my choice. I'm at peace and VERY excited about what's to come!

I think it's important for people to know this. I have always recommended him without reservation. While I still respect his skills as a cutter, I am very disappointed to see this change. In the future, I will still recommend him yet I will also encourage people to go elsewhere if they want a DS and he gives them crap. That and refer them to here.

Your plan sounds good. Play nice during your "preop nutrition" :hysterical:

I think it's important for people to know this. I have always recommended him without reservation. While I still respect his skills as a cutter, I am very disappointed to see this change. In the future, I will still recommend him yet I will also encourage people to go elsewhere if they want a DS and he gives them crap. That and refer them to here.

Your plan sounds good. Play nice during your "preop nutrition" :hysterical:

ha!!! You're SOOOOO funny! lol I'll try to play nice. I really will. My problem is this: I don't like stupid people. It would be nice if they had a class focused on DS.....but that's really a moot point if they're not doing DS on anyone else besides me! I've just tried to figure as much out as I can on my own with the resources I have available to me.

Jesus H Christ! Is that an Official Publication of the Third Semester English as a Second Language Class?!?

For example:
- The Board and Wade Neal Barker, M.D., entered into an Agreed Order requiring a Dallas alloy to within one year finish a medical record-keeping march offering by a University of California San Diego Physician Assessment and Clinical Education (PACE) program; within one year finish during slightest 8 hours of CME in medicine studious communications; and compensate an executive chastisement of $1,000 within 60 days. The Board found Dr. Barker failed to promulgate with a studious that he remade a formerly undiagnosed hernia during a gastric bypass revision procedure and unsuccessful to clearly request a length of a common channel in a patient’s medical records.

Shit...I hope that alloy has a successful march...and so on.

Reminds me of a photo our kid sent us:

http://www.lookhuman.com/render/pro...lk-w800h800z1-41158-sometimes-i-use-words.jpg

To which her dad replied:

It indeed makes one sound very igneous.

Oh, well...

Last edited:
OMG, Sue. I feel so photosynthesis right now, I'm green with envy. Sometimes I also use big words that I don't know the meaning of, but only when drinking and trying to find words that rhyme. Ever try to rhyme "mucous"? I rest my case.

OMG, Sue. I feel so photosynthesis right now, I'm green with envy. Sometimes I also use big words that I don't know the meaning of, but only when drinking and trying to find words that rhyme. Ever try to rhyme "mucous"? I rest my case.
I think your poem will have to include a guy named Lucas.

Hmmm, mucous, Lucas. I shall hereafter be consulting Spiky Bugger for my Christmas poem. Can you rhyme "anal fissure". Just kidding. I only rhyme when singing, drunk, in bars on vacation.

Hello! I am getting the DS done with Dr. David Kim in Dallas. Not sure if this is the same Dr. Kim you're talking about, but he is extremely well known in the area. He is actually the one who recommended I get the DS done (he performs them laparoscopic) :)
Becca

Becca - things may have changed, but the person who reported the quote from Dr. Kim in Dallas is someone whose veracity I trust. I would be very VERY careful if I were you. I would tell him RIGHT NOW that if he is not doing the DS, and is wasting your time by trying to suck you into his practice and then trying to steer you to a different surgery, his name will be mud all over the internet, so he'd better be TRUTHFUL with you now.

And I would get it put IN WRITING in my informed consent that he is NOT to do anything to you if it is not the DS. Make sure he knows if you wake up with just a VSG, you will NOT be coming back to him for part two. If you wake up with anything else, he's going to have his ass sued. See what he says to that.

@BeccaHertel
Well, KINDA what Diana said. But maybe a TAD more gentle sounding.

Like, maybe, "Since I don't want anything but the DS...and if you can't provide that procedure for me...I want to make sure that the consent forms I sign clearly state that if you discover that you are unable to perform the DS, surgery is to stop and NO OTHER bariatric procedure is acceptable. Also, if you complete the gastric resection and THEN discover that you cannot complete the full DS, then you need to know that I will most assuredly feel more comfortable going elsewhere for the second stage."

Here's why...while I am not familiar with anything WRONG that he does, I have been online reading about DS surgeons for about 12 years now and his name does not stand out as someone who has a good solid history of delivering the DS. His reviews elsewhere run the gamut...people adore him, but also indicate that you don't get much one-on-one time with him. Patients post that he doesn't run a cut-and-run surgery business, and then proceed to say that they ADORE him BUT...they almost never see him, that they wait an hour in his waiting room and only see him for five minutes, he has a PA that you work with, there is apparently a hospitalist doctor that many see post-op instead of the surgeon...those are all alarms for me. Well, and he seems to insist that his patients diet pre-op, which is pretty asshole-ish and accomplishes nothing...and, now that I think of it...several of his adoring patients adored him when he did their Lap-Band adored him just as much for the revision to the RnY or sleeve. He SHOULD BE charming considering that he gets paid twice for all the wrong choices he helps people make.

He apparently IS quite charming, but I don't need that in a surgeon. I need expertise in the procedure I want (Kim seems to sell all of the surgeries) and availability. Based on his reviews, that seems like a hit and miss proposition with him.

Sue

^^^ What she said. Everyone should have an editor following them around and fixing their posts, making them convey the message in the right way.

Latest posts

Back