nissen fundoplication before DS???

revisionDS

hi all,
I was a lap band to DS patient, I had a UGI 2 weeks ago, the last one I had was pre DS, so years ago, interestingly my fundoplication was not taken down, even though in my operative reports explant surgery it says that it was. Also interestingly when I had my DS the surgeon didn't take it down (and there is no mention in my operative report that there was an issue taking it down, so I have no idea why it was left, and if left for medical reasons, why it was not mentioned in the operative report) I had my band removed and my stomach "rested" for about 6 months before I had the DS, so that may be a reason my vsg is too large, but who knows. and yes I had a vetted DS surgeon.... Just wondering who has had a fundoplication, who has had it taken down....etc....thanks...

hi all,
I was a lap band to DS patient, I had a UGI 2 weeks ago, the last one I had was pre DS, so years ago, interestingly my fundoplication was not taken down, even though in my operative reports explant surgery it says that it was. Also interestingly when I had my DS the surgeon didn't take it down (and there is no mention in my operative report that there was an issue taking it down, so I have no idea why it was left, and if left for medical reasons, why it was not mentioned in the operative report) I had my band removed and my stomach "rested" for about 6 months before I had the DS, so that may be a reason my vsg is too large, but who knows. and yes I had a vetted DS surgeon.... Just wondering who has had a fundoplication, who has had it taken down....etc....thanks...
Wow, that's really interesting, while probably really frustrating for you. The fact that the operative reports were falsified is very sketchy!

There are a couple things here than concern me. First, it sounds like you had your Nissen before your lap band (though I could be wrong about this), which is confusing partly because anyone with such bad reflux than a Nissen is needed is a bad candidate for a lap band, which is famous for worsening reflux, and also because I don't see how a lap band could be properly positioned with a Nissen in place. The Nissen is a 360 degree wrap of stomach around the highest part of the stomach and the gastro-esophageal junction. The lap band needs to be just below the GE junction and secured in a particular way. I don't see how correct positioning could have been done. But this is the first time I've seen this particular story, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

But by now your lap band is gone so that is no longer an issue. I also don't know how a proper VSG could be done with part of the stomach wrapped around itself. Granted I am not a bariatric surgeon, but it seems to me that you would need to undo the wrap, and then divide the stomach appropriately to create the sleeve.

If you are willingn to share details from the DS operative report, such as whether or not the Nissen was still there and if so how they worked around it, it would be very interesting. Are you hoping/planning on having your too large sleeve revised??

If you are willingn to share details from the DS operative report, such as whether or not the Nissen was still there and if so how they worked around it, it would be very interesting. Are you hoping/planning on having your too large sleeve revised??
@revisionDS And if you want to share it privately with Larra, just click on her avatar and then to "start a conversation".

Latest posts

Back