I've inquired about the DS with my surgeon so we'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to keep on researching to make sure I make the best decision I can that will be most beneficial long term.

I've inquired about the DS with my surgeon so we'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to keep on researching to make sure I make the best decision I can that will be most beneficial long term.
Just realize most surgeons do not do the DS or have gotten on board with the SADI/SIPS/LoopDS and tell you it’s the same as the DS (horse shit).

Remember, a Ford dealer will not sell you a Mercedes from someone else’s lot. They will tell you the Ford is best. If you want the Ford, great but getting a Ford when you want (and can handle) a Mercedes is just wrong.

Greetings! I am going to be a Debbie Downer here. I have no idea why surgeons/doctors recommend the RNY for acid reflux. I had acid reflux WITH the RNY. Additionally, I developed marginal ulcers, had trouble eating protein, dumping syndrome, not to mention vit/min deficiencies, and ultimately gaining almost all of my weight back. I had nothing but regret for getting the RNY. As a size 16, many WLS patients would consider your size a success story. Have you worked with a gastroenterologist on your acid reflux? To me, the DS seems extreme for someone who is a size 16. It is like taking a sledgehammer to a fly. Unless, of course, there is more going on here than you have mentioned.

Greetings! I am going to be a Debbie Downer here. I have no idea why surgeons/doctors recommend the RNY for acid reflux. I had acid reflux WITH the RNY. Additionally, I developed marginal ulcers, had trouble eating protein, dumping syndrome, not to mention vit/min deficiencies, and ultimately gaining almost all of my weight back. I had nothing but regret for getting the RNY. As a size 16, many WLS patients would consider your size a success story. Have you worked with a gastroenterologist on your acid reflux? To me, the DS seems extreme for someone who is a size 16. It is like taking a sledgehammer to a fly. Unless, of course, there is more going on here than you have mentioned.
Thank you for your response. No, I haven't seen a gastro dr. It may seem extreme to you and I realize my size may seem a success to others, but clearly not to me. I have spent the majority of the last 10 years dieting and exercising with no success. Everyone must choose what is right for them and while it may seem ridiculous to some, it seems more ridiculous to live with a body I'm very unhappy with if there is a tool that will help me succeed. Based on speaking to 3 separate bariatric surgeons, all independently recommended RNY over sleeve because of the potential back up of bile.

@Kclark77979 that's weird. With the sleeve, you shouldn't have a problem with bile reflux unless you already do, because the pyloric valve (which keeps bile and food from backing up into the stomach) retains it's normal function. It's true that RNY gastric bypass also won't cause bile reflux, but neither operation would.
There are some surgeons who prefer one operation over all others for all their patients. It sounds like you have found someone who prefers gastric bypass and is finding reasons to recommend it for all comers. I hope you will do your own research, especially because once you have gastric bypass in particular, it is very difficult to get revised to anything else if it doesn't work out for any reason. Sleeve can be revised to gastric bypass if someone has a severe problem with reflux, or to DS if weight loss isn't adequate. Revising gastric bypass to anything else, or just reversing it, is a big, big deal.

@Kclark77979 that's weird. With the sleeve, you shouldn't have a problem with bile reflux unless you already do, because the pyloric valve (which keeps bile and food from backing up into the stomach) retains it's normal function. It's true that RNY gastric bypass also won't cause bile reflux, but neither operation would.
There are some surgeons who prefer one operation over all others for all their patients. It sounds like you have found someone who prefers gastric bypass and is finding reasons to recommend it for all comers. I hope you will do your own research, especially because once you have gastric bypass in particular, it is very difficult to get revised to anything else if it doesn't work out for any reason. Sleeve can be revised to gastric bypass if someone has a severe problem with reflux, or to DS if weight loss isn't adequate. Revising gastric bypass to anything else, or just reversing it, is a big, big deal.
Thanks for the info! Actually, the sleeve was the first thing all of the surgeons mentioned, but I wanted a surgery that was both restrictive and malabsorpant. My concern with the sleeve was that over time it would stretch out. I do understand it can happen with the bypass. I am checking into the DS. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks for the info! Actually, the sleeve was the first thing all of the surgeons mentioned, but I wanted a surgery that was both restrictive and malabsorpant. My concern with the sleeve was that over time it would stretch out. I do understand it can happen with the bypass. I am checking into the DS. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.
The Sleeve is meant to stretch some, but that is why the DS works. While the Sleeve portion does stretch, it’s the malabsorption that keeps the weight off long term.

Latest posts

Back