Newbie... again

jean_pa

Hi
I am back in the online support group land looking for info, advice and opinions. I had a VGS in 2014. I did well with it at first but plateaued before reaching my goal weight. I maintained for about another year but when my mother got sick last summer I gave up on diet and exercise and went back to some bad habits. We lost her a week before Christmas and I never got myself together with the diet and exercicse and now am 1/3 of the way back to fatville. I'm not going back! I am working out again and am reeling in the bad eating. I went to see my doctor because I have been having a lot of reflux and regurgitation especially if I lay down soon after drinking something. I was hoping for a sleeve revision but my doctor suggests a "completion" and going from the sleeve to a DS.
This was a bigger answer from him than I was expecting. I would love to hear all of your stories and experiences about the DS lifestyle and diet as well as the post-op days.
:)
Jean

Hi and welcome! Glad you made it over here. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother.

It sounds to me like you've proven, to your surgeon if not yet to yourself, that the VSG was not enough to get you to goal or to prevent you from regain the weight you have lost. I think his advice is sound. Adding the switch part of the DS won't worsen your reflux issues, and may improve things when you lose more weight. It's possible, even probable, that you will still need some kind of meds for GERD, many of us do, but that's not the end of the world.

Hi and welcome @jean_pa! DS was one of the best decisions I ever made as I live a very normal lifestyle.
Hi Hilary
How hard is it to remember all of the vitamins? How many do DS'ers typically have to take? And can you share with me how, if at all, the surgery effected your social life. Like, do you have difficulty if at a restaurant, are you able to have an occasional glass of wine? I know no alcohol for a year but I'm thinking long term. TIA for answering all of my questions

You can drink and eat like a normal person. Vites become a habit. I fill my pill organizers once a week and I am good to go. I think your doc is smart!!!!

Hi Hilary
How hard is it to remember all of the vitamins? How many do DS'ers typically have to take? And can you share with me how, if at all, the surgery effected your social life. Like, do you have difficulty if at a restaurant, are you able to have an occasional glass of wine? I know no alcohol for a year but I'm thinking long term. TIA for answering all of my questions
My only difference in a restaurant is that I tend to do one of these things:
Just order a good meaty appetizer
Ask for a to go box either st the beginning or end up of the meal
Split it with my hubby (also a DSer).

We've done well following those guidelines.

I do know the first time you try alcohol, be at home to see how you react. I don't drink as I am allergic to alcohol (severely allergic) but hubby does. He discovered tho that beer was a no go (and his favorite pre-op) as the grain in beer made him look 9 months pregnant. But hard apple cider is fine.

Welcome, Jean-pa, it's a great group of supportive people here. You ask, How hard is it to take vitamins? It is not an option. You have to make up for the malabsorption, so always, every day, no matter what, you take your vitamins and eat a high protein diet. Once you make the commitment, it isn't hard at all.
I saw my surgeon after 12 years yesterday, who was shadowed by a medical student. He said he is beginning to get skeptical about offering DS to just anyone, because he has seen more than a few reckless people who just took their health for granted because their weight normalized. He explained to the medical student that there is a "J" curve with the other procedures. They go down and then creep upwards. For those, the goal is to stop it becoming a "U" curve, where they go back to their former weight. For DS, there is a straight line down, but then a cliff, where some drop off into serious health issues. Following the vitamin-protein rules is the bridge over the Cliff.
BTW, I drink wine with dinner regularly, but I get tipsy with less wine than before. And, I often have dinner with friends, but almost always bring home a doggie bag (if my jogger-husband doesn't eat the remaining half the entree). You will become a cheap date, since I can often be happy with a meaty appetizer.
So sorry to hear about your mother. It is one of life's hardest moments and I miss mine daily after 4 years. Her picture is the wallpaper on my computer so I can say hello every day. I can't make scrambled eggs without hearing her advice, "low and slow."

Latest posts

Back