New Yorker - Bariatric Surgery: The Solution to Obesity?

Interesting article.

I just wish the sleeve patient had a more realistic outlook about his eating. I'm concerned about it.

Thanks for finding this! The author didn't look very hard into reporting long term results, need for reoperation, and development of GERD, but you only have to google to find this report on >11 year outcomes. The man has a good chance of needing an additional operation, is likely to lose only 60% of his excess weight, and might well not lose some of his comorbidities. (I don't have full text and I am concerned that so many of the original patients weren't available for follow up, since the results might have been worse if there was 100% follow up)

Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016 Jan 19. pii: S1550-7289(16)00018-6. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2016.01.013. [Epub ahead of print]
Long-term (11+years) outcomes in weight, patient satisfaction, comorbidities, and gastroesophageal reflux treatment after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy.
Arman GA1, Himpens J2, Dhaenens J3, Ballet T4, Vilallonga R3, Leman G3.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
More than 10 years of outcomes for sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) have not yet been documented.

OBJECTIVES:
Analysis of>11 years of outcomes of isolated LSG in terms of progression of weight, patient satisfaction, and evolution of co-morbidities and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) treatment.

SETTING:
Two European private hospitals.

METHODS:
Chart review and personal interview in consecutive patients who underwent primary isolated LSG (2001-2003).

RESULTS:
Of the 110 consecutive patients, complete follow-up data was available in 65 (59.1%). Mean follow-up was 11.7±.4 years. Two patients had died of non-procedure-related causes. Twenty (31.7%) patients required 21 reoperations: 14 conversions (10 duodenal switch (DS), 4 Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB), and 3 resleeve procedures) for weight issues and 2 conversions (RYGB), and 2 hiatoplasties for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). For the 47 (74.6%) individuals who thus kept the simple sleeve construction, percentage of excess body mass index loss (%EBMIL) at 11+years was 62.5%, versus 81.7% (P = .015) for the 16 patients who underwent conversion to another construction. Mean %EBMIL for the entire cohort was 67.4%. At 11+years postoperatively, 30 patients versus 28 preoperatively required treatment for co-morbidities. None of the 7 patients preoperatively suffering from GERD were cured by the LSG procedure. Nine additional patients developed de novo GERD. Overall satisfaction rate was 8 (interquartile range 2) on a scale of 0-10.

CONCLUSION:
Isolated LSG provides a long-term %EBMIL of 62.5%. Conversion to another construction, required in 25% of the cases, provides a %EBMIL of 81.7% (P = .015). Patient satisfaction score remains good despite unfavorable GERD outcomes.

Copyright © 2016 American Society for Bariatric Surgery. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Very interesting. He knew about the DS and still chose the sleeve. I hope it works for him.

Latest posts

Back