New tile IN the bathrm yesterday & OUT today.

Spiky Bugger

Doing a bathroom Reno...finally got to the floor tile yesterday. I made them take it out today.

See...there was 3" of concrete under the original tile floors. That's how they did it back then. They removed the concrete and built up the floor. Too much. They built it level with the floor of the adjoining hallway. The guy doing the prep did NOT figure that the hardie board, under the tile, and the tile itself would add to the height of the bathroom floor. So, today they REMOVED my new tile floor. Tuesday, they will remove the plywood, put in plywood that's less than 5/8ths" and then hardie board and tile. Again.

The contractor was very nice about it. In fact, so far, they have done A LOT of demo, removed all the debris, put in new brass joints between galvanized and copper plumbing connections, knocked out a wall, put in a new shower pan and new electrical outlets...without a signed contract or a dime from me. Somewhat amazing.

When this is done, we will have a home that's expensive enough that a good deal of America couldn't afford it, but doesn't have a bathtub...and still needs MORE remodeling.

Jesus. I thought WE had reno pains. We have the worst luck.

Hey, I'm still stuck at your selling the last house. What did you do, buy a fixer-upper? (That's usually what we can afford. Neighbors love us, because WE buy the turquoise house with black trim...or the pink house...we're big on pink houses and/or houses with pink decorative rock outside and pink marble fireplaces inside. I hate pink.)

Yeah, I still cannot talk about selling the old house. I regret it to this day. It cost us dearly and the new house was full of code violations Gus would not dream of suing over. We are finally settled.

The couple who bought our old farmhouse? Divorced a year later. The husband decided he was a she after 10 yrs and 2 daughters. And he got the house. So its never looked better.

Latest posts

Back