New here, from Vancouver

YummyMummy

Hello everyone,
I have never been here before but someone on another site suggested I come visit as most of the DSers seem to have moved over here. I am just about one month postoperative and need all the help I can get. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Yummy

Hi. I'm new here too and still pre-op. I intend to learn from new DSers experience. Thanks for posting.
Betty

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! You are correct, I am from Vancouver, BC - right down the road from you @BebeZed :)

About me, I am 38, I have two little ones (DD is 2 1/2 and DS is 9 months) and I just went back to work two weeks ago - for those counting, yes, it was two weeks after my surgery. After many years of dithering on whether I should have the surgery or not, getting fatter all the time of course, I finally took the plunge! I did it because I want my life back, I want to run around with my kids and mostly I want to live a long happy life and I think DS is what I need to get me there.

At the moment, I admit that I don't feel very well and I know that I am still healing but I am hopeful for the future especially now that @Larra suggested this site and I can perhaps find some support and answers to my million questions.

Looking forward to some good chats with all of you :)

Welcome @YummyMummy

Going back to work after 2 weeks, holy hell about you don't feel well at all. As we say YMMV (your mileage will vary) but that is really pushing it. I was actually going back 3 weeks after my original DS surgery but then I developed a kidney stone which my Dr was worried was a Marginal Ulcer (was not) so I spent three days in the hospital and when they went into to get the stone it got pushed back into the kidney so I had a stent for 10 days (that sucked)..this put me out another month as it knocked the hell out of me.

Who did your surgery (EDIT - I see it was Gagner) and if you don't have your Operative report you should request it. Do you know how long your total small bowel length (SBL) was and the lengths of Alimentary Limb (AL) & Common Channel (CC)? These numbers are important as my AL was made way too short because my original DS surgeon did a "cookie cutter/one size fits all" DS and didn't not measure my total SBL and then do a percentage based CC & AL's based of that number....this caused severe malnutrition for me and Dr Keshishian had to lengthen my AL & CC on August 18th (How I wish I had found him prior going to Marshall...I would have had zero issues).

In any case I am glad you are here as this place is an incredible source of knowledge and great people. Ask lots of questions but two things you need to be doing now, well three:

1. Stay hydrated - a minimum of 64 oz of fluids (water for most part) daily.
  2. Strive to aim for the 30/60/90 protein rule (30 grams target by 30 days out, 60 grams at 60 days, etc). Note this is a goal to strive for so don't freak if you can't get there right away, but the more protein you can ingest the better you will do as far as weight loss and healing.
  3. SLOW DOWN Dear! Your body needs to heal so make sure you are getting plenty of rest in addition to rules 1 & 2.
Best of luck to you.

Hello and welcome! Going back to work after only two weeks is rough. Stay hydrated and be kind to your body. Rest when you can at home. I know that's a little hard w two little ones running around! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

@YummyMummy, ahhh you're in THE Vancouver. Excellent! I used to live in Surrey (sorry! lol) and I spent a lot of time in Vancouver. I used to go to a lot of Canucks games too until the tickets got way too expensive. Walking the seawall is still the most enjoyable exercise I can think of - I need to do that a whole lot more... well, when the weather clears up a bit anyway.

Hope you start feeling better soon! Hang in there... it will get better!

Latest posts

Back