My surgery date is May 10th and I'm getting cold feet

KGD8a

I'm 5'2" and my weight at my first Dr visit was 208 lbs, my BMI was 38. I went to my Dr and I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, the sleeve. My Dr insists the DS is a better option for me because it's less risk of regaining the weight. I feel like the DS is more extreme and the risks and side effects scare me. I have read the DS is more for patients with a >50 BMI and my current BMI is 34. My surgery is scheduled for may 10th for the DS and I'm still not convinced it is the right option for me

Welcome!
Unlike so many people, you have the good fortune to have a surgeon who discussed your different options and the pros and cons of each with you. We see so many people who, a few years post-op and not getting the results they expected from sleeve or gastric bypass, only then find out that there was something called a DS, and that the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for permanent resolution of almost all comorbidities. I can't emphasize enough the importance of maintenance. Many people do well initially with sleeve or bypass, only to find themselves struggling to maintain their weight loss, even though they continue to follow their post-op dietary instructions.
there are excellent long term studies, with large numbers of patients, regarding the nutritional aspects of the DS. Yes, you do need to make a life time commitment to taking a fair number of vitamins and minerals, and to emphasizing protein in your diet. Yes, you will need regular lab work to check levels, at least annually (I do annually, other people do more frequently). But if you make that commitment and stick to it, the chances of nutritional deficiency is very low. Most of the people (NOT ALL!) who get into nutritional trouble do so due to noncompliance. In other words, it's up to you.
It's your decision. Keep in mind, though, that we see new people all the with with sleeve, lap band, or even gastric bypass who went into their surgery with high hopes and either never lost sufficient weight, or who lost and regained a large amount of weight, and now want revision to the DS. Even setting aside all the financial aspects, and how difficult or impossible it can be to get insurance coverage for a revision, it's a miserable experience for these folks to experience this failure, which their doctors and society will blame on them even though really it was the operation that failed.

You made the right choice. The sleeve is just another diet with a smaller stomach. That's just the truth. Adding malabsorbtion means you have the best shot at losing all the weight and keeping it off. Keep in mind, you are short and that makes a difference! Shorter women have a harder time!

So, it's a personal choice for sure, but the DS has much better long term results. Read this http://www.paclap.com/downloads/comparing-options-for-WLS.pdf

Lots of people with the sleeve need to get revisions because the sleeve is not as powerful. I wanted one and done surgery. The only real down side is the vitimans and your poop cycle changes a bit. The DS gets a bad rap. It's more extreme, but it works and as far as I can tell, people are happier. They can eat what they want, the weight stays off, and weight problem is solved.

So glad I did it.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome KGD8a ! I selected the full two-anastomosis DS because after years of yoyo dieting, I knew that a restriction-only procedure would have decent results in the short term, but the results wouldn't last. It would just be the equivalent of one more diet. In exchange for long term weight loss, I was willing to eat protein and take vitamins for life. I didn't want to lose my pyloric valve or have a blind stomach or risk significant regain, so RNY was not an option. So DS it was. I'm so happy, six years out, to have made that choice. Whatever you chose, I wish you the best! :)

Welcome KGD8a I'm over 7 years post DS. Had to fight for mine. Most thought I was too small to have the DS, yet I knew it was what I wanted. Back in 2011, the sleeve was not covered by Medicare (my insurance) so my options were the lap band, the RNY, and the DS. I would have stayed fat before having the RNY and the lap band was a HELL NO! My first surgeon said I was too small for the DS. My starting BMI was 35.2.

I am so glad I persevered. Best thing I ever did for myself.

It's just my personal opinion, but both the RNY and DS have risks due to the malabsorption component. I have seen a few failed by-passes and zero failed DS surgeries. I needed to lose 200 pounds. I have lost that and maintained for close to 10 years. I've also had good lab results. I've had to tweak dosage amounts based on the lab results. That is usually minor and easily done.

I've learned a lot and credit this group for my success. Yes, I take the supplements, but the people in this group have better nutrition advice than my surgeon.

Welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I feel better about my decision. My husband and my family are worried about the malnutrition risk.

Latest posts

Back