My DS Journey

stanh

Well, my journey into DS started about 6 1/2 months ago....Reading, reading, lurking on some sites, digging into the internet for knowledge.

I've completed the 6 month mandated supervision of a nutritionist. Luckily I like her! I somehow managed to lose 22 pounds or so...My BMI is at 43.1. I am 6'2" and last I knew, weigh 336. I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

My surgeon's office just submitted all of the necessary paperwork to the insurance company. Hopefully they get the final approval done quickly. I'm extra hopeful, since my surgery is scheduled for March 3rd at 7:30am.

Hopeful....Nervous....Excited...Uncertain...Certain....

I haven't been a "normal" weight since I was 18 and had strep throat for 2 months. That was 34 years ago.
I fly a lot for business. The seats are not comfortable. The seat belts fit (except for on this one Jet Blue flight....That sucked), but I'm sure my row mates wish they had a little more room.

My wife and I have been married for 25 years, come this May. We have 2 wonderful kids, both of who are in college now. It's important that I am around to grow old with my wife, walk my daughter down the aisle, continue to see my son growing/turning into a man, and being there to play with our grand kids.

I'm looking forward to shrinking...So much. I'll put up with the liquids, the mush, the much smaller portions. I'll make this work. I have too much to lose.

Just keep soaking up the knowledge...and when you find out for sure your exact date, start a new thread here and I will add you to the calendar.

Congrats! It will be here before you know it, use this time to continue to read and communicate. :BaconDance:

Ok...Received 2 calls from the hospital, asking questions and telling me what to do and not do before the surgery...Positive steps! Meet with the surgeon tomorrow....Surgery is in 12 days....Wow...I need for that to sink in....

You're going to do great - practice deep breathing now, if you haven't yet - my surgeon had me blowing up a balloon several times a day and it sure helped get me ready for getting out of the recovery room!

Fantastic! It was reassuring to me to speak with the hospital, made it more real, lol. You will do great!

Today is my last day for solid food for a while.....Sushi for dinner tonight, clear liquids for breakfast, lunch and dinner Saturday and Sunday, surgery at 7:30am on Monday.
Our son is driving home from college tonight to spend a few day at home before surgery, our daughter is just too far away for a whirlwind trip. She will be home March 14.

I am nervous.I have to try and keep that hidden so I don't affect my wife any more than she will be.....I am also optimistic...I saw the Dalai Lama on TV, so I got that going for me, which is nice....

LOL. If you can quote Caddyshack, all will be fine! You are going to do great! Once you make it into the solid food stage again, it is not so bad. I will keep you in my thoughts!

I agree - you are going to do great Stan! That first week is just being stir crazy in the hospital and getting bugged every hour by nurses for blood pressure checks and to give you meds. Your job will be to sip liquids and take those strolls with the IV attached and rest. The very best of wishes for a smooth recovery and flawless surgery!

Latest posts

Back