my doctor wants me to get a resting EKG

JackieOnLine

Staff member
because I've had high blood pressure for a long time and it went untreated TWICE now (first time, not my fault, second time - my fault) :cautious:

I can't get an answer on how much it costs for me (no insurance) so far, just leaving phone messages. my plan was to go in person and find someone to tell me but it's at the other end of town and I haven't gotten around to it.

would this be as good? can't be, right? it's a phone app.

Alivecor

You would want to make sure it's a 12 lead (pronounced leed) EKG. And apparently the app costs $99. It might be possible to get one for less locally, you could ask your pcp for a referral.

my doctor did give me a script, I just can't get them to call me back with a price.

I'm monitoring my BP pretty much every day so it's OK now - just hasn't always been for a worrisome amount of time.

I'm unclear what-all it looks for, is it just A fib or a bunch of things? it's weird my cardiac knowledge is not the best: I've always known I was at risk of heart disease because my Dad had his first MI at 48 years old! that's a big reason I had WLS.

We have one hospital in the area that will bill on a sliding scale, and cover costs for some. The main drawback is the long waits there, because everyone that doesn't have insurance goes there so it's always crowded. It would be worth checking if there is anywhere that would do it on a sliding scale. I've always been dismayed at how much an EKG costs considering it takes like one minute to administer it.

The EKG looks at more than just heart rhythm. It can also see signs of strain on the heart (which could be caused by high blood pressure) and other problems. Here is a link to some basic info.
And I suspect the price is more a reflection on the interpretation of the EKG, most likely by a cardiologist, and less so on the brief time spent by the technician in actually performing the EKG.

https://www.medicinenet.com/electro..._conditions_may_be_diagnosed_with_an_ecg__ekg

Latest posts

Back