my 600 pound life

Charris

Now an angel
I feel so sorry for this lady. She was 650 pounds. The dr. Was going to do bypass and when he got in there said something was to short so he gave her a sleeve. It wasn't a month after surgery she said her craving started creeping back. The dr says he believes she will hit her target weight in the next year.

I hate this show, but like a car wreck I can't look away.

The producers AWAYS show them nude in the shower (even in the promos) -- for the sole purpose of driving up viewership. Have the vulnerable SMO ever been more abused and shamed? And the SMO allow this so they can get free WLS surgery.

But as we know, there are a shortage of competent WLS surgeons and those have booked schedules. The producers have to find a surgeon desperate for business so they scrape around the bottom of the barrel and find the doofus Dr. Now. Could there be any doctor that instills LESS confidence in his surgery skills? After insisting that each patient lose 40# in a month to prove themselves, he then foists RNY off on these poor people who are eventually doomed to fail. (Thank GOD that one woman had to "settle" for the VSG -- at least now she can get the switch added.)

But hold da phone... hang around for the second hour of Skin Tight and see the dullard Dr. Now mutate from a gastrointestinal WLS surgeon into a PLASTIC SURGEON. WTF??? I've never heard of a gastrointestinal surgeon who is also a plastic surgeon. He's the Earl Scheib of surgeons "I'll cut any person, anywhere for $49.99, no ups no extras." (And what's up with him cutting off men's nipples and reattaching them only 9" apart?? They look BIZARRE. Has Dr. Now never seen a naked man? I felt so sorry for the young man who had been SMO his whole life, lost the weight on his own, goes in to have 50# of skin removed so he can go on a date and have sex with a girl for the first time, and Dr. Now gives him these creepy nipples.)

The people on 600# Life are not the same as on Skin Tight. I wonder if the RNY patients will ever be successful enough to be on the Skin Tight show.

@Clematis - I hear you about the nips! we watched that show and were carrying on because one was oval and one was round and very close together. reckon it was still better than them being at his waist ...

According to various sites:

He is board certified by ABS (American Board of Surgery) and holds professional memberships in the following organizations:

• ACS (American College of Surgeons)
  • ASBMS (American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery)
  • SAGES (Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgery)
  • DCCA (Denton Cooley Cardiovascular Association)

Nowhere does it say he has any training in plastics. On one site it mentions he does bariatric skin removal. Simply hacking off excess skin without regard for aesthetics is pretty much what insurance will cover (if it even covers that).

I tend to cross my fingers that the WL people I seem to like more than others will get sent to the attractive male and female plastic surgeons (in Austin?) that the show also uses. But I suspect they are primarily face lift, boob lift, nose job sort of plastic surgeons and out of their element on total body lifts. They have botched the surgeries of a couple of people on the show who are then sent to Dr. Now to be fixed. I don't think it's because he's more skilled, only that the producers didn't contract with the "beautiful people" plastic surgeons for revisions.

There are differences in cosmetic and plastic surgeons, as one is primarily elective for aesthetic reasons, and the later is to fix defects, but the big difference is in training. Cosmetic surgeons have more training, but the real deal for us is surgeons that specialize in the issues of the previously SMO.

I have only seen one episode where they had plastics after massive weight loss, and felt terrible for them when I saw the result. THEY claimed to be happy, so that's what counts, but I'd have been devastated with those results.

Latest posts

Back