My 5 day countdown to DS in Mexico

I didn't know about this specific forum, "Sharing my journey". Ive been wondering how you've been @Clematis . I kept checking the DS and Main forums and never saw you post so I was worried your surgery fell through or something. Glad everything went so well and I'm so happy for you! Funny but it looks like your post-surgery experience is mimicking bebe's and mine.

I didn't want to scare you when we talked before the surgery but I've been really hungry since the 3rd or 4th day after the surgery. I have no signs of acid reflux (I honestly wouldn't know what those are if I did, I've never had it) so I don't know what else it could be except hunger. It's somewhat reassuring that you're hungry as well, as long as its not bothering your recovery or weight-loss that is. I don't mind being "hungry", if that is what I'm feeling, because I'm losing so much weight so fast I kinda need to be hungry soon.

Are you getting enough liquids down? How about you @BebeZed ?

I run hot and cold as far as hunger goes. Usually I'm not particularly hungry, but then I get REALLY hungry and make up for it. I'm trying for a bit more consistency in my eating habits. I'm struggling with edema - my legs and ankles are huge again with excess fluids - and the weight is going up and down like crazy and I'm pretty sure that the extra fluids are to blame. My new health plan kicks in on the first and I will be visiting my new clinic ASAP thereafter. The trend, however, is downward but ever-so-slowly. I'm dropping inches like they're hot though so I can't complain :)

Other than a recent bout of mud butt, I've been feeling really fantastic. I do believe that the recent bathroom nightmares were not totally ds-related, as my son also had a nice case of the trots. Lucky us! LOL It was bad for 24 hours but I kept pushing liquids and it seems to be almost gone now. Thank goodness for imodium!

I'm definitely getting my liquids - it seems like I'm thirsty ALL the time - and by virtue of protein coffee and the like I'm getting in all my protein. And I'm losing weight albeit slowly so life is good :)

I'm so sorry about your edema @BebeZed I hope things are OK until Dec 1. Can you make the appointment now for the first? (I've never heard the term mud butt.)

PS - Don't tell Nina or Carla I'm drinking coffee. It IS highly diluted with HWC and milk and protein powder... :D
I'm so sorry about your edema @BebeZed I hope things are OK until Dec 1. Can you make the appointment now for the first? (I've never heard the term mud butt.)

I'm going to call them Monday in hopes that they will make the appointment before the plan is officially in effect. I really hate that it's back because it was gone for a couple of wonderful weeks. I can definitely put up with it as long as it's nothing serious though... and the last time it wasn't serious so chances are that it won't be serious this time. I don't seem to be ill or anything so I'm sure it's just more of the same but it does need to be checked just to be sure.

As for mud butt... I heard it for the first time a few years ago while playing a game... someone typed it in chat and I thought I was going to die laughing. It still amuses me :)

Yikes, SJ. HyPOglycemia? (a drop in blood glucose level) or hyPERglycemia as in you have diabetes? All it takes is a mouthful of food to bring your glucose up fairly quickly if you start getting the shakes. If diarrhea is a problem, you;re allowed to take immodium.

Wow, you've lost FORTY POUNDS in a month. That damn man factor is at work. I've only lost 10-11 since the surgery; 24 total since I started Atkins 5 weeks ago.

@DSRIGGS Yeah, I know I did this not to diet. But feeling hungry and only eating 800 calories is a diet in my book. (Actually I'm only getting about 200 calories now.) I'll keep an open mind for a few months and see if I still feel I'm dieting.
@Clematis You are certainly being restricted now by your sleeve and torn up system that is healing, but you are not making a choice to diet. That inability to eat changes and I promise will get a little better everyday. When you are feeling better you will be protein focused and until your hearts content...and the weight will fly off without the need to ever restrict or count calories

@DSRIGGS How much sunflower seeds do you eat to make yourself thirsty? I'm trying that out but I'm having a problem with real bad nausea. I have to not drink for an hour or so after I eat or else my stomach/throat is just rolling.

Well bud you are only a few weeks out from surgery aren't you? Are you taking a PPI? I would venture to say GERD might be what you are calling nausea.

Regarding seeds and nuts I think I was a good 2 months out before I added in nuts and seeds. I would just buy a snack size bag of the shelled kind from work.

My surgery was about a month ago. I'm taking Nexium OTC once a day. I'll have to look up the symptoms of GERD.... ok looked it up and yeah, I guess that is what I'm experiencing. I feel like I have stuff backing up into my throat and it (my throat) makes really loud noises. But I also feel like I'm going to vomit as well.

I take 40 mg (twice the otc dose) omeprazole twice a day. If I were you I would go to twice a day with your PPI and see if it helps. I felt nauseous and had your symptoms as well early on.

I take 40 mg (twice the otc dose) omeprazole twice a day. If I were you I would go to twice a day with your PPI and see if it helps. I felt nauseous and had your symptoms as well early on.
Nexium is Omeprazole. Omeprazole is Prilosec and the only difference between prescription prilosec and otc prilosec is the dosage. OTC Prilosec is typically 20 mg and Omeprazole is 40 mg.
@Soonerjoseph They told me I could take it twice a day if I felt one pill wasn;t helping. (But I take prescription omeprazole, not their OTC nexium.)
Nexium and Omprazole are not the same drug. Omeprazole is the generic name for Prilosec and Nexium is the brand name for esomeprazole. The only difference between prescription prilosec and otc prilosec is the dosage.

Latest posts

Back