More2Adore's Updates

I was very sad to hear about Dawn :(. But, @more2adore, from what @Elizabeth N. said on FB, Dawn's surgery wasn't a revision to a DS, it was a reversal (or partial reversal) of her DS, to deal with problems with malnutrition that she was having. All surgery has some risk, though, of course. But, the expertise of the surgeon and the medical team makes an enormous difference. You will be in very good hands with Mr Nottle.

I'm not sure why, but the reality of the situation didn't hit me until I woke up in recovery. I was scared to death, but it was too late to change my mind! I think it's perfectly normal to be afraid, but I think you should try to focus on all the wonderful things that will be ahead for you. Just think, if we were always afraid of dying, we'd never leave the house!

We also don't know what other health conditions she might have had or what her state of health was going into the surgery.
From all accounts of what I've read, you've got a very competent and experienced surgeon and you're going through all of the proper pre-op tests and clearances.
I think you're in good hands!
I hope you get a date soon!

yep, perfectly normal to have some fear (you know there is a risk, after all) but also some extra fear when you hear about someone else dying

as you know, I'm sure.

ETA group hug! :5grouphug:

I would be more worried for you if you weren't scared! Just remember there is more to Dawn's story than you know. I just got done telling someone else that a brain is the best thing you can bring in to the DS. You have one so you you are good to go.

In real life bad things happen to good people. But how does one get the rewards without taking the risk? You don't(and neither do I). Risk and reward travel together. One of the scariest things about surgery is the lack of control. Most of us aren't good at giving that up. There's the risk. But most of us find the risk acceptable when we look at what the future is going to be like if we do nothing.

Mortality. Sure we all worry about the surgery. But risk is everywhere. I could get waxed playing in traffic today or drop dead going out to check the mail. I could fall in the bathroom or someone could drop a piano on my head. Choke on my coffee. Things happen. Most of us just cope with daily life and get on with it.

It's all risk VS reward.

I would be more worried for you if you weren't scared! Just remember there is more to Dawn's story than you know. I just got done telling someone else that a brain is the best thing you can bring in to the DS. You have one so you you are good to go.

In real life bad things happen to good people. But how does one get the rewards without taking the risk? You don't(and neither do I). Risk and reward travel together. One of the scariest things about surgery is the lack of control. Most of us aren't good at giving that up. There's the risk. But most of us find the risk acceptable when we look at what the future is going to be like if we do nothing.

Mortality. Sure we all worry about the surgery. But risk is everywhere. I could get waxed playing in traffic today or drop dead going out to check the mail. I could fall in the bathroom or someone could drop a piano on my head. Choke on my coffee. Things happen. Most of us just cope with daily life and get on with it.

It's all risk VS reward.
Yes, ^^^^^ this :)

It's all risk VS reward.

VERY, VERY, Well said Munchkin, great post!

@more2adore...as I just told @Jen-2 in another post, your age is your MAJOR advantage. If you wait those 15-20 yrs, your risks for surgery go up significantly. My advice is to try to leave emotion out of the decision making process and just look at the science, the math and the probabilities and risk factors. I know that can be hard, but.... Also, do understand, most people don’t post when everything is going good, so what we think we're seeing on any forum is a distorted or skewed view of the real success numbers.

Last edited:
I've already made the decision, Rob - definitely would not even CONSIDER changing my mind. I'm fully ready for this and ready to do what I need to do to be healthy. I just needed to share a little about how I was feeling and hear that others have felt it, too.

Really appreciate all the responses, ladies (and gent). I feel less alone now. :)

Waiting sucks!

I'm an expert at waiting. When I got my surgery date...it was 2 YEARS in the future. 2 Years!

If I had had a brain, I would have gone to Spain and just got it done.

I got everything I can still cross, crossed and will cross some more when I get home and can stretch!!:D

Hope you hear soon! I know how it feels to be so ready and have to wait while you jump through the stupid insurance hoops and so forth. Once you've made up your mind you're ready to just get it done and start down the path on the other side to regaining your health. Hang in there. It'll happen! I'll keep my fingers crossed too that it's SOON!!

I swear to gob (yes, gob) that I have whiplash from all this back and forth! Week before last Friday, I called my surgeon's office. We were scheduled to go to Melbourne the following Monday to meet with the intensive care doctor (intensivist). He's the head of intensive care both at the public hospital and the private (if I'm understanding correctly). I called the surgeon's office to see if they had a date for my surgery yet so that I could give that info to the intensivist when I met with him. Not only did they not have a date (that was up to the hospital, they said), they let me know that I was going to have to make another trip to Melbourne for a pre-admission clinic for the public hospital, and that it was scheduled for just two weeks from our existing Melbourne trip Monday!. No way could hubby have gotten off work with that little notice, which would mean if we couldn't work something out I'd be flying down to Melbourne alone, staying in a hotel, taking taxis everywhere, etc. which would have really added up cost-wise. I immediately called the hospital to let them know my dilemma - they had another pre-admission clinic coming up the Monday I'd be there, but they said it was too late notice to get me in. They told me to ask the intensivist if I needed to attend it. So we drove 10 hours to Melbourne as planned and we met with the intensivist Monday.

Our meeting with him went well. In fact, it went so well that he thinks my risk factors were overstated and I'm not as high risk as Mr. Nottle originally thought. In fact, he thinks that for a VSG, someone with no high blood pressure or blood sugar issues or heart issues is low-risk (even considering my size). At least, that's what I understood him to say. So he thinks we should go back to doing it in the private hospital! And apparently he has volunteered to oversee my care there. Guess I made a good impression. :thumbsup:

I called the surgeon's office again today, at the intensivist's behest. Basically, they gave me the choice. Get it done publicly, and I'll have to take another trip down to Melbourne alone for the pre-admission clinic, AND we can't be certain that the date they set will actually be our surgery date. It would be possible that we would fly to Melbourne, hubby would take his two weeks off, and we'd get there ready for surgery and a more urgent case would come in and we'd get bumped and have to be rescheduled. Hubby's job is about to be outsourced (he keeps it, but works for a different company) and getting time off is really complicated for him right now. Also, since I'm not as high-risk as they thought, it's possible they'd change my urgency category and have to wait years for my surgery. Also, I'm an immigrant, and a new one at that - one of the requirements for permanent residency is that you're not an undue burden on the Australian medical system. So... it feels safer in regards to immigration (and better ethically, honestly) to have it done privately (through our private insurance). This means we're $5k out of pocket, but well worth it for the certainty of the date and everything else, I guess.

So it looks like we're back to doing it privately! The surgeon's office is supposed to call me back in the next couple of days... here's hoping I FINALLY get a date when they call!

Latest posts

Back