More2Adore's Updates

To make myself feel a little better, maybe I'll have hubby measure me tonight. I haven't been measured since I was at my highest weight, so maybe I can at least see how far my measurements have come and start keeping track of those as well.

Do this! I am sure you will be very pleasantly surprised at what you see. Take your measurements monthly.
Congrats on your loss so far! You are doing so well!

Let's be honest here. Didn't you always know diets don't work? You have a metabolic disease. You have done the impossible and lost a bunch of weight. You had to work hard to do what you have done. Much harder than a person with no metabolic issues. According to my calculations you need about 4000 calories a day to maintain your weight at a light activity level. You have been running a lot less than that to lose. Keep on doing the best you can. And that's all you can do!

Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. Dieting for people with our issues is like treating a compound fracture with an ace bandage. You are motivated enough. You are trying hard enough. It's not you. It's the disease.

I really appreciate that, Munchkin. That really helps. It's just so frustrating when the rest of society can't see it and doesn't understand. I bet you 10/10 random people on the street would never believe I'm eating 2000-2500 calories a day and still gaining. It just makes zero sense. But you're right... I have to just chill out and do the best I can. That's really all I can do. I was just so hoping I might be able to lose a little on my own between now and whenever it is that they let me have surgery. If it's going to be months before I can have it, I don't want to waste this time.

EXACTLY as Munchkin said….even at 2500 calories a day, that should put you in a 1500 calorie per day, 10,500 calorie deficit per week. 3500 calories in excess or minus IS SUPPOSE to equal 1 POUND either gained or loss. A calorie is a unit of measurement based on energy expended or available to be expended and is SUPPOSE to be a mathematical and physics constant that is non-negotiable, it can NOT lie, right, its science, its MATH, its one of the basics of what we Engineers call the “Laws of Thermodynamics”. That is why Doctors, Science people etc don’t believe you…AND ME! For reasons science has yet to understand, those scientific standards are BULLSHIT! Those of us whom have metabolic disease disorders does not work that way. When we eat, we store, not burn. It is the same survival mechanisms in place that allows a bear to hibernate for 6 months or allows a turtle to live to be 200 yrs old. Did you ever wonder how a whale can become 95% FAT and Blubber when all it eats is plankton and fish??? SAME MECHANISM, I believe this store gene is in a lot of us because our ancestors come from places where food was limited. And when they could feed every couple weeks, their bodies stored everything, it is a store gene of yet to be identified.

I may be relatively new to the DS…but, I promise you, I am an expert on nutrition, calories, carbs, working out etc. I have yet to tell my full story on here and probably will when I get some time over the holidays, but I am also on page 10 of two best selling books by Mr. Lee Labrada (Mr. Universe winner, 4x Mr. Olympia runner up) with co-author world renowned Nutritionist Mr. Keith Klein. This was about 20 yrs ago and I ve been doing this for 35 + yrs.

My point of telling you all this is, even the most educated and smart people don’t understand and won’t believe you unless they have lived it. If I go over 800 or 1000 calories PER DAY….I WILL GAIN WEIGHT…Period. IT F*@KING SUCKS and I’ve been living like that my whole life. I get to watch my skinny office mate that brings his big breakfast in every morning, crescents, donuts and then just 4 hrs later he friggin hungry again and has a double cheeseburger and fries, each time, I have nothing. He is skin and bones and I’m NOT exaggerating. Skinny people like that say, GOD DAMN, I eat all that and still don’t gain weight, those fat people must really pack it in. That’s all he knows, he/we are products of our learned experience, thus, IMHO, the biggest prejudice of our time. Only the people real close to me know and BELIEVE my reality because they live with me and see what I eat and don’t eat.

So, what do we do??? We just keep on keeping on baby girl, because that’s all we can do. I am hoping more than anything ever to get my DS and maybe I can end the last ¼ of my life with some semblance that resembles normalcy. For you, SAME THING…Keep your eyes on the prize. You are doing great, don’t slip. Try to take those calories down even more to 1500 or so for a week or two and that should get you unstuck. Your body got used to 2000-2500 and VERY FLIPPIN QUICKLY adapts and tries to store again. You have to fool it and shock and do something different. It is trying its best to do what the store genes are telling it too. And it will adapt when it feels threatened, VERY quickly.

You WILL get your VSG and that WILL change the metabolics a lot for about a year or so, it sends those GD store genes in to oblivion for a while. I personally think you will lose a lot with just that. IT IS NOT just a restrictive procedure, technically it is, but there are a host of metabolic and hormonal changes that they have yet to understand that come with it short term also….So, eyes on the prize my young friend. When you get sad, just think of your second greatest asset, (first being your personality), your YOUTH, time is on your side, and then have your DS…Sorry for the book, but I get upset sometimes when I see innocent people blame themselves or even worse judgmental people judging for something that’s not their fault .

Last edited:
Thank you so much for writing all that, Rob! :) I really appreciate your very kind and supportive and earnest and in-depth response. :) I 100% agree with everything you said re: metabolism.

I get what you're saying re: shocking it by going lower with the calories, but, frankly, since I'm already taking in half of what it should take to maintain my weight, I'm just not gonna take in even less. I feel I'm in a really solidly healthy place in the way I'm eating right now, I'm not feeling deprived, I'm feeling great and eating things that are good for me - and I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on, as you said and stop getting on the scale so damn much. My weight will do whatever it is it decides to do, and when I have surgery that will shock it into moving again if it hasn't already. Frankly I was wondering if maybe this sudden huge calorie deficit is sending it into starvation mode and I need to be taking in MORE calories, but I'm not going to eat more than I naturally want to just for the sake of that. I'm gonna do the best I can and try to stop worrying about it too much until I get the tool that will help me do even better. :) Probably easier said than done to stay off the scale, but gonna do my best. HUGS!

Thank you so much for writing all that, Rob! :) I really appreciate your very kind and supportive and earnest and in-depth response. :) I 100% agree with everything you said re: metabolism.

I get what you're saying re: shocking it by going lower with the calories, but, frankly, since I'm already taking in half of what it should take to maintain my weight, I'm just not gonna take in even less. I feel I'm in a really solidly healthy place in the way I'm eating right now, I'm not feeling deprived, I'm feeling great and eating things that are good for me - and I'm just gonna keep on keepin' on, as you said and stop getting on the scale so damn much. My weight will do whatever it is it decides to do, and when I have surgery that will shock it into moving again if it hasn't already. Frankly I was wondering if maybe this sudden huge calorie deficit is sending it into starvation mode and I need to be taking in MORE calories, HUGS!

Well young Lady, guess after yesterday, theres no doubt how well thought of you are around here huh ;) I aint never seen @Larra get all in a "Tizzy" like that...lol It also confirmed TWO things that I already knew! # 1, how really wonderfull and smart and caring these folks are on here. #2...That I'd just soon crawl in to a Lions den full of cubs than to piss these Ladies off :D.

I try to look at the positive most of the time as do you and I'm positive I love these Ladies on here...and the occasional guy or two also...lol

So, yes, all I was saying...just maybe change it up, just for 3-5 days, and it MIGHT break up (Confuse) the way you body is trying to adapt to the 2-2.5K cal per day....and YES, you can go down BUT, you can also go up with more protein for that same 3-5 days and that might trick it also. It may or may not break the cycle, it keeps your body from going in to that self preservation mode...SOMETIMES. Thats what all professional bodybuilders do as well. But, yeah, as you said, just keep on keeping on doing what your doing, main focus being getting well and preparing yourself for WLS.

Last edited:
@robs477 you're right, I rarely let anything on the Interwebs upset me, but this did it. Sadly, I don't think she gets it yet, even with all the explanations. But this drama did show us how strong we are as a group, and that we aren't going to take any BS from anyone, and there is something to be said for that.

Well young Lady, guess after yesterday, theres no doubt how well thought of you are around here huh ;) I aint never seen @Larra get all in a "Tizzy" like that...lol It also confirmed TWO things that I already knew! # 1, how really wonderfull and smart and caring these folks are on here. #2...That I'd just soon crawl in to a Lions den full of cubs than to piss these Ladies off :D.

I try to look at the positive most of the time as do you and I'm positive I love these Ladies on here...and the occasional guy or two also...lol

So, yes, all I was saying...just maybe change it up, just for 3-5 days, and it MIGHT break up (Confuse) the way you body is trying to adapt to the 2-2.5K cal per day....and YES, you can go down BUT, you can also go up with more protein for that same 3-5 days and that might trick it also. It may or may not break the cycle, it keeps your body from going in to that self preservation mode...SOMETIMES. Thats what all professional bodybuilders do as well. But, yeah, as you said, just keep on keeping on doing what your doing, main focus being getting well and preparing yourself for WLS.
Thank you so much, Rob! :D

@more2adore You amaze me! Stay strong. :)
Aw, thanks @hilary1617! :D

@robs477 you're right, I rarely let anything on the Interwebs upset me, but this did it. Sadly, I don't think she gets it yet, even with all the explanations. But this drama did show us how strong we are as a group, and that we aren't going to take any BS from anyone, and there is something to be said for that.
Amen to that, @Larra! :)

I thought I'd share something fun with you....

THESE little pieces of heaven (bastards) are no longer allowed in our home: http://www.lapanzanella.com/products/dolcetini/key-lime/

We swing by Costco the other night. Yes, we have Costco here, and it's one of the few places to get American foods, so hubby and I shop there when we need a fix. I see these...and they look delicious. You can't find key lime anything over here in Aus, so they're really special. Plus they remind me of the lemon-flavored powder sugar cookies my grandmother used to love and we couldn't find for her in the last several years before she passed away. I look at their carb counts. Not GREAT, but a serving is 3 small cookies, which should be enough to satiate me, and my daily carb limit is high enough that I can fit in a few every now and again and it won't be a problem. I've been doing really well with the treats I've chosen - able to stick to my carb limits, etc. and only eat the amount I can afford to eat that day after I've taken in adequate protein. Perfect... added to cart.

We get home, and open them when my BFF and his partner come to visit. I'm not even antsy to get at them, until BFF's partner takes one and says HOLY SHIT. UMF. WOW. So I try one and... he's right. Holy hell, this is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. They are crack. CRACK. I don't even know exactly how many are in the tub, but between all four of us they're like half gone by the end of the night. I count as I eat, and I eat 21. TWENTY-ONE. I'd had no time to eat much that day (mistake!!!), so I wasn't even over my calorie limit with that, but I did end up going over my carb limit.

The worst thing is there were like 80 cookies in that tub (typical Costco) so there were enough for two more sessions of 20 cookies (total of 7ish servings each) for me later.

Uh, yeah. These things are BANNED from our house. And if hubby ever has the urge to buy any more, he has strict orders to keep them at his office and only bring me home 3 every few days, hahahaha.

HOLY moly. :) Out of my house, demon cookies! :)

Last edited:
Oh... and did I mention we had our own mini-Thanksgiving last night (still keeping the tradition alive in Aus) and that it's my birthday later this week and hubby brought home the fudgiest looking chocolate cake I've ever seen? Yeahhhh. This is not going to be a good week for me. :)

I don't think November and December are good food months for anyone. I know I used to swear I could gain weight just by going to the bakery. I didn't even have to eat anything. This too shall pass. And enjoy the birthday cake!

That Thanksgiving turkey is really GOOD for you! I made 2 just for leftovers. And made stock as well.

Latest posts

Back